Q. Why does the cough after choking persist so long in a baby?

Dr. Arti Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

My niece, who is 1 year and 8 months old, got choked today when she drank her milk. She got cough because of the choke, but the cough keeps coming back the whole day. I thought it was just a simple choke as it is just milk. Why does it last for the whole day?

Dr. Arti Sharma

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Choking while drinking occurs because infants airways are small. Also, if the baby is drinking milk fast some of it can go into the windpipe.
  • Cough reflex immediately after choking is the body's protective mechanism to expel it out.
  • Your niece is still coughing, so it is possible that she has aspirated small amount of milk which is causing the cough.
  • Give her warm liquids and get her examined. A clinical examination will be helpful in determining the exact cause of her symptoms.
  • Treatment will depend on clinical examination findings. Keep me posted on her health.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Be Cautious When Using OTC (Over The Counter) Drugs

Article Overview: Do you take OTC drugs often without consulting a doctor? Learn about the detrimental effects these drugs on your health. Read Article

Dr. Senduran N

There are a number of patients just consuming the OTC drugs, whenever they wish without knowing the risks and long term effects involved with it. For Example: 1. Paracetamol: This drug is recommended for fever and raised temperature. Actually, our body's protective mechanism has the ability to de...  Read Article

Can cough and small red spots in hand after intercourse be HIV symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with a sex worker 45 days back. During which my condom broke and then immediately I withdrew my penis and went to the washroom and cleaned my penis with water. After this incident, I am having a little cough and small red spots on my hand. Can this be HIV symptom? Please he...  Read Full »

Will low T4 levels affect the baby's brain development during the first 5 weeks of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am five weeks pregnant now. Currently, my T3 is 1.05 ng/mL, T4 is 5.0 μg/dL, TSH is 27.62 μIU/mL. I started Thyronorm 75 mcg today. What if my T4 was low from the past five weeks? Has it affected my baby already? Will it affect the baby's brain development?  Read Full »