Q. Will low T4 levels affect the baby's brain development during the first 5 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jul 07, 2017

I am five weeks pregnant now. Currently, my T3 is 1.05 ng/mL, T4 is 5.0 μg/dL, TSH is 27.62 μIU/mL. I started Thyronorm 75 mcg today. What if my T4 was low from the past five weeks? Has it affected my baby already? Will it affect the baby's brain development?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query about your thyroid function test results, and it appears that you have hypothyroidism.

• I would like to say that even if you were diagnosed at five weeks, it does not cause brain damage to your baby so quickly. Besides, your T4 and T3 are still within normal limits, so it is not so much of a problem to cause a brain damage.

Let us be positive and hope for the best. Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for your advice. If you say my T4 and T3 levels are normal, then can this be a subclinical hypothyroidism? Thanks.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• No, this is the body's protective mechanism for your unborn child. You do not have subclinical hypothyroidism. You have hypothyroidism. You have to keep taking your medicines regularly, so as to prevent complications regarding the progression of pregnancy.

Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears that he is having bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia, but no tachycardia. So, according to me, electrophysiology (EP) studies may be helpful, but not necessary. It could be due to thy...  Read Full

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

What are the signs and symptoms of dyspraxia?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the signs and symptoms of dyspraxia in a 6 year old boy? Kindly explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The child will have difficulty in doing fine actions like writing with a pencil, tying shoelaces, eating with a spoon, etc. Also, the normal day-to-day activities of a healthy child that can be achieved at the age of 6 years may not be achieved by a child with dyspraxia (...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now