Q. Will low T4 levels affect the baby's brain development during the first 5 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I am five weeks pregnant now. Currently, my T3 is 1.05 ng/mL, T4 is 5.0 μg/dL, TSH is 27.62 μIU/mL. I started Thyronorm 75 mcg today. What if my T4 was low from the past five weeks? Has it affected my baby already? Will it affect the baby's brain development?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query about your thyroid function test results, and it appears that you have hypothyroidism.

• I would like to say that even if you were diagnosed at five weeks, it does not cause brain damage to your baby so quickly. Besides, your T4 and T3 are still within normal limits, so it is not so much of a problem to cause a brain damage.

Let us be positive and hope for the best. Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for your advice. If you say my T4 and T3 levels are normal, then can this be a subclinical hypothyroidism? Thanks.

#

• No, this is the body's protective mechanism for your unborn child. You do not have subclinical hypothyroidism. You have hypothyroidism. You have to keep taking your medicines regularly, so as to prevent complications regarding the progression of pregnancy.

Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|