Cholecystectomy

Is gallstone removal a major surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have attached a report of my mother's abdominal ultrasound. Please explain the seriousness of the issue.  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your statement, you have been suffering from abdominal pain. According to the USG (ultrasound) of W/A (whole abdomen) report that is provided here (attachment removed to patient identity) has shown that hepatomegaly with fatty liver grade-1, acute calculus ...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain post laparoscopic cholecystectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two surgeries gastric bypass and laparoscopy cholecystectomy. After my laparoscopy cholecystectomy, I noticed a pain on my right side and is noticeably bigger. I get pain there, especially with lifting. My surgeon opened this incision twice. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

Bariatric Surgery, Metabolic Surgery

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When you said your surgeon opened the incision twice, I suppose you refer to port sites of laparoscopic surgery, not open surgery. In the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are pointing to the right lateral region and right lower quadr...  Read Full »

Will gallbladder removal cause any complications post surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to take a second opinion about my wife. She is 26 years old. Two years back, a few days after she gives birth to my child, she had pain in her upper abdomen at the right side. In ultrasound, it was diagnosed that she had gallstones about 6 mm with multiple stones. When we appr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best advice is that she should have a gallbladder removal via laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Since it not only help her to get rid of this noxious pain, but she can avoid the long term complication of chronic cholecystitis that is related to the gallbladder stones...  Read Full »

What is the recommended treatment for multiple gallstones with walled-off necrosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My present condition is multiple gallbladder stones (size 2-5 mm. identified before four months) and asymptomatic extrapancreatic walled off - necrosis (size as per USG 8.7*5.1 cm identified a month back). Complications: WON is abutting GB fundus. I had acute pancreatitis. Gallbladd...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do not worry. I will help you in this. First, I will tell you about gallbladder stones. So any gall bladder stones with history of pancreatitis or multiple gall stone should be removed. Laparo...  Read Full »

What causes postcholecystectomy syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, Over a year ago, I scheduled an appointment to try to understand why I was rapidly losing weight. My gastroenterologist ran some tests and did an upper endoscopy as well as a HIDA scan. The upper turned out negative for all tests however the HIDA scan reported that my gallbladder was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I understand that a year back you have been diagnosed with gallbladder dyskinesia or dysmotility as reported by HIDA scan. I was wondering whether you have weight loss as the only primary symptom or associated with abdominal pain. Because gallbladder dyskinesia m...  Read Full »

Will a simple painkiller help in shoulder and gallstone pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 59 years old. She has gallstone and she was supposed to have cholecystectomy but was postponed due to quarantine. Last month was the supposed schedule and that time the size of the stone in her gall bladder was 3 cm. Now she is experiencing increased pain on her right shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will help you with your problem. Gall stone surgery is not emergency surgery. It should be done in an emergency if there is gall bladder perforation or malignancy. In your case, the stone size is large, and with the age of the patient malignancy is ruled out. I wi...  Read Full »

Is there any nonsurgical method to treat multiple gallstones in an elderly patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother has multiple gallstones. She is very weak, and according to our doctor, she will not be able to tolerate surgery. I wanted to know if there are any non-surgical methods to treat this condition. She is having severe abdominal pain, accompanied with pain between the shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Ahmad Meleha

General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports. (attachments removed to protect patient identity). There is no doubt that laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a safe and the standard treatment for cholecystitis nowadays. However, some patients continue antibiotic therapy without undergoing su...  Read Full »

I have gallstone. Is it necessary to undergo cholecystectomy before planning pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old female ophthalmologist. I have a single gallstone which is 10 mm in size that was noticed incidentally in ultrasound. Is it necessary to undergo cholecystectomy before planning my second pregnancy? I had nonspecific episodes of abdominal pain in the last two years w...  Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This looks like a symptomatic uncomplicated gallbladder stones. Even though you say that the symptoms have not been typical of biliary colic but the repeated episodes of pain,...  Read Full »

My MRI shows acute cholecystitis with multiple cysts. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently had an MRI and ultrasound scan for acute cholecystitis and they showed multiple cysts and a 16 cm x 12 cm cyst in my liver. Please could you tell me is that large for a cyst as I have been told it needs further surveillance. It is showing two benign looking hepatic cys...  Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A 16 cm cyst is a bit large cyst. A few more details about your condition would be quite informative. Have you ever had any pain in the abdomen or jaundice in the past? Any contact with sheep, any pet dog? Kindly inform what was the management for acute cholecystitis, ...  Read Full »

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are most likely a classic case of post cholesystectomy syndrome which occurs roughly after two years post cholecystectomy, like your case. This can be dealt with by dietary modification like fat-restricted diet and oral ursodeoxycholic acid if there are pe...  Read Full »