Q. My grandmother has multiple gallstones. Is there any nonsurgical method to treat it?

Dr. Ahmad Meleha
Published on Oct 16, 2019

My grandmother has multiple gallstones. She is very weak, and according to our doctor, she will not be able to tolerate surgery. I wanted to know if there are any non-surgical methods to treat this condition. She is having severe abdominal pain, accompanied with pain between the shoulders.

She is having this problem for more than 8-12 months now. In addition to the problems that I have mentioned, she says that she can not eat anything. Even though she feels hungry, she says that her stomach feels full. Also, she says that she experiences a severe burning sensation whenever she eats or drinks anything.

She is not taking any medications for this specific issue. She takes medicines for soothing the burning sensation down her throat to the chest so that she can eat peacefully. Apart from that, she takes medicine for keeping her blood pressure in control. Though she does not have any heart disease, she does take some medicine for heart as a precaution.

We did an ultrasound, and the reports are attached. As per the report, she has multiple gall stones, along with the possibility of the adhesion of the gallbladder with the bowel. There is no surety about this; it is just a possibility.

Dr. Ahmad Meleha

General Practitioner General Surgery
#

I have seen the reports. (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

There is no doubt that laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a safe and the standard treatment for cholecystitis nowadays.

However, some patients continue antibiotic therapy without undergoing surgery.

She could be admitted and receive medications, including antibiotic therapy, according to the protocols, analgesia with paracetamol and Metamizole, prophylaxis of thromboembolic disease, and proton pump inhibitor administration.

Oral intake of water should be initiated upon admission if she did not complain of nausea or vomiting, with a progressive increase of liquid and food intake according to her oral tolerance. In my opinion, you should revise her surgeon about the availability of performing laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

Considering my cardiac health, should I get operated for gallbladder stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who weighs 78 kg. I have multiple stones in the gallbladder. And my vomits are greenish or yellowish in color. Once, I threw up brownish vomit, which my doctor said is blood, due to repeated vomiting. The gastric pipe gets torn and abraded a little, and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The short answer, in my opinion, is yes, let them operate for gallbladder stones. Here is why. The surgeon's job was to see that the patient will be safe, so he asked for a cardiac assessment. Here dobutamine stress echocardiogram (DSE) was requested most likely as it mu...  Read Full

Is there any treatment for beta thalassemia major?

Query: Hi doctor, One of my daughters has got beta thalassemia major and G6PD deficiency. Is there any treatment for her? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Beta thalassemia major includes a hereditary disorder and is due to genetic deficiency of beta globin chains of hemoglobin. It is transfusion dependent anemia.Management of beta thalassemia major includesChronic transfusion to maintain hemoglobin at the range of 9-10 ...  Read Full

My ultrasound was normal, but I have excruciating lower abdominal pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old woman. I have been having excruciating pain in my right abdominal area, below my right breast. The pain travels to my back and gets unbearable at times. I have been throwing up today, and my temperature is low since the past five days. This has been going on for a...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This lower abdominal pain might me due to acalculous cholecystitis, which means gall bladder dysfunction and pain without gallbladder stones. The test of choice is a HIDA (hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid) scan since the ultrasounds are usually normal and may not sho...  Read Full

Ask a General Surgeon Now