Q. What are the measures to get the blood values in control?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Feb 21, 2018

Please find attached the blood test report. Highlighted in bold are the tests which are out of range. Can you please advice on the reasons and corrective measures to get the exceeded test values in control? Do I need to perform any follow-up tests? I have got the blood test profile checked just as a general checkup and not specific to any illness (I get it checked once every two years).

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I am impressed with your overall health. However, there are a few things that need to be sorted out.

Your total red blood cells and hemoglobin levels are slightly increased than normal but not significant in the absence of symptoms like headache, hypertension, itching in the body after a warm bath, etc. If you are a long-term smoker, this could be a cause of the slight increase. Do you have any chronic lung disease or kidney disease that is known to you?

Also, I see that your serum lipase is a little off, it usually indicates pancreatitis. Are your suffering from any symptoms like abdominal pain, fever, nausea, or vomiting? I suggest you repeat serum lipase.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I have no headache or itching in the body. After a hot water bath, I just get dry skin (white spots observed in hands and legs). I have no nausea or abdominal pain. I have an upset stomach for the past few days. Can that show high lipase? You have advised for repeat serum lipase. Would you advise to get from the same lab or a different lab? I see the cholesterol level to be moderately high. Can I assume this is in acceptable limits and I do not need to be too concerned? Please advice.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The cholesterol level is moderately high and for now, you just need lifestyle modifications like dietary restriction of fatty food containing LDL and triglycerides both. You can increase HDL intake in the form of fish and certain nuts in moderate amounts. Also get some walking or jogging five days a week at least. This will do for now.

Coming to the most important one, the lipase. It usually indicates pancreatitis. Can you describe what your symptoms were with the upset stomach? We have to be sure about this. Hence, I asked you to repeat the test and preferably from a different lab.

I want to be sure whether it was pancreatitis or not because it cannot be left untreated. However, since you do not seem to have fever or abdominal pain or nausea/vomiting it would be better to repeat serum lipase. If positive again, do an ultrasound of upper abdomen.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the upset stomach I have, it is just loose stools from past four days. I do not have any pain as such. I have not taken any medicine.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Is the stool pale and bulky, and does it float in water? Because if you are having malabsorption due to pancreatic issues, this can happen.

It is absolutely fine to repeat the result in the same lab as well. I have seen all other reports, so it seems quite good.

Please get the ultrasonography of upper abdomen done as well. This will be conclusive.

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »

What diet can be followed to help lower cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a high borderline cholesterol. Can you suggest me a diet chart? I have attached reports herewith.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now