Q. My lipid profile is deranged with high triglycerides. Should I start on medication?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2020

I am 34 years old.

My lipid profile shows:

Total cholesterol 154 mg/dL

HDL 26.8 mg/dL

LDL 67.9 mg/dL

Triglyceride 298 mg/dL

FBS is 95mg/dL and RBS 132 mg/dL.

Blood pressure 146/82 mmHg.

Can I use the cholesterol medicine for triglycerides?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from back pain and hypertriglyceridemia with low HDL (high density lipoprotein) level. You have a high VLDL (very level density lipoprotein) level too.

For your abnormal lipid profile level, you should avoid fatty foods and dairy products. You can take Fenofibrate for your high triglycerides level along with Omega-3 fatty acid for your low HDL level. Continue these medications for abnormal lipid profile and do repeat your lipid profile after three months later. For your back pain, you can take Naproxen with Baclofen, Calcium with vitamin D supplements. So you can continue the medications as follows.

Capsule Lofibra (Fenofibrate) 200 mg 0+0+1 (after meal), tablet Naprosyn 500 mg 1+0+1 (after meal) for 10 days, tablet Lioresal (Baclofen) 10 mg 1+0+1 for one month, tablet Carbocal D 400 0+1+0 for two months, capsule Bio Marine, Omega-3, and Fish oil 0+1+0 (continue), tablet Prevacid (Lansoprazole) 30 mg 1+0+0 (before meal) for one month.

|