Q. I have a rash on my back which gets aggravated when I am in stress. What could it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• I have had a rash on my back, neck and chest for over a month.
  • I visited my physician and she thought it could be a fungal infection.
  • She prescribed an anti-fungal medication which I took for 2 weeks.
  • However, the medication did not do anything, and the rash is still present.
  • It gets itchy when I sweat and the biggest portion of the rash is on my back.
  • The rash is slightly scaly, but it does not flake or ooze.
  • It is slightly raised.
  • The rash appears to be a cluster of defined circular patches.

Please advice.

#

I have gone through your query and attachments. (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

It is not looking like fungal infection.

It is more in favour of urticaria.

• Does it remain the same or fades with time and recur again?
  • Does it aggravate with physical exercise or sun exposure?
  • Are you on any medications?
  • As for now, take tablet Allegra180mg once daily and tablet Teczine M once daily at night.

Revert back with the details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

• The only medication I am currently taking is an oral contraceptive, which I have been taking for several years.
  • The rash does seem to fade at times and become more prominent when I am in a stressful situation.
  • The rash gets aggravated after exercising.
  • It has completely faded at times and then come back a few weeks later.
  • It usually lasts a few weeks before it fades, but this time it seems to be lasting longer.
  • I have started taking the Allegra but I am not sure what Teczine is. 

#

Yes, you are suffering from urticaria and more precisely the type is cholinergic urticaria.

To be frank, this is considered as a nightmare of the dermatologists as it is very difficult to treat.

In most cases, it will subside on their own but it may take 7-8 years.

Tablet Teczine M contains Levocetirizine and Montelukast.

I have prescribed you the first line approved medicines for urticaria considering that they would respond.

If not hypotensive please take tablet Inderal 10mg once daily.

Revert back to a dermatologist online after 3 weeks for review --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|