Q. What is the reason for appearance of rash after bath?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Daily after my shower, my face turns red with rash. This has been happening since years. I have changed my soap and face wash several times. Besides, I have lived in many cities; this happens every time and everywhere. What could be the reason? What should I do for it? Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

From your history it appears that, you are suffering from cholinergic urticaria or heat hives.

This condition of being hypersensitive or extremely sensitive to heat or the response of sweating.

People with this condition often wonder why they feel itch when they exercise or any time they seem to get hot. It can be sensitivity to cold water also.

Heat hives can occur at any age and can come and go often without treatment but in some it persists.

As you said, after exposure to hot or cold water the skin will become red and sometimes itchy lesions will appear.

Itching or burning sensation during the initial attack is common, and normally goes away when the overall body temperature has cooled.

No effective treatment is yet available to cure cholinergic urticaria except avoidance of trigger factors.

Tablets like Levocetirizine or Desloratadine are only helpful for short periods.

Avoidance of trigger should be your first priority. Oxyhive treatment is sometimes helpful.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

| 

I have never experienced this itching or rash while sweating or when exposed to heat. This occurs only when I take bath or wash my face.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

#

As I already explained to you that the stimulus for your problem may be heat. It is not must to always sweat or take hot water bath.

• This condition is idiopathic in many cases means no obvious cause for it. So, it is very difficult to find out the trigger.
  • To control the problem you must avoid hot stimulus in any way.
  • The medicines are only for temporary relief. There is no permanent cure for your problem.

|