Q. I am having cough, sore throat, and get headaches for many years. Is gastric issue the cause?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2020
1) I'm having cough & sore throat for many years. sometimes I cough after I wake up from sleep & sometimes I just start coughing randomly. My throat will be itchy sometimes, but no pain.

2) suddenly I get headache Star at the back of my head until my shoulder. I get this headache often. It just start randomly for no reason. I have gastric issue, is this the cause of this pain?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi, There are two possibilities for the problem your having

1. A chronic gerd with lpr( gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharngeal reflux). Basically over here acidic gastric contents have a faulty reflux into your throat and this can be the reason of feeling something stuck in your throat or just a itchy discomfort. You will not have any difficulties with swallowing as such. Inflammation around the throat often results in a irritative cough.

2. A chronic allergic pharyngitis can also be another reason, there could be exposure to some irritative substance indoors itself which can irritate the throat and again be the cause of intermittent cough.

What can be done?

1. Avoid exposure to any irritative substance, the best thing to counter this is to wear a n95 mask.

2. Gastric issues have to treated seriously with medications and precautions with more emphasis on the later. You can follow the advice mentioned below.

1. Avoid having oily, spicy and cold food/beverages. Avoid smoking and alcohol for next 1 month
  2. Eat on time, keep a soft easy digestable diet.
  3. Reduce the quantity of the meal to half of what you originally used to have. Increase the frequency of your food intake, but avoid overeating.
  4. Do not lie down or exercise immediately after meals. Keep a gap of atleast 2 hrs.
  5. Maintain a left lateral position when you lie down, atleast till you fall asleep.
  6. Syp Containing antacid 1tsp 3 time's a day 20 mins before meals for 2 months will be beneficial. Along with this you can also consider a proton pump inhibitor such as pantoprazole 40mg one tab once a day before bfast for 1 month.
  7. Salt water gargles @8 to 10 times a day to wash out any irritative substance in your throat.

I think this should suffice and keep your symptoms at bay! Hope this helps! Get well soon!

|