Q. How to identify the cause of allergy?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

I am getting allergy once in three to four days, which causes rashes and swelling on the body. I take Cetirizine to control the allergy. The allergy is mostly due to unknown factors. Although, it could be because of cloth material I am wearing or bed sheets. Is there anything I can do to understand the cause of allergy to avoid its recurrence? I have been taking Cetirizine for years. Does that have any notable side effect?

#

I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.

It is very difficult to narrow down to one or more causative factors. There are many tests available like patch testing or immunoassays to point out the allergy causing antigens, but practically they are not much useful. However, if there is any family history of autoimmune disorders like thyroid, you may get a thyroid profile done.

Chronic idiopathic urticaria.

1. You can continue with Cetirizine.
2. Alternatively, you may take Loratadine 10 mg or Hydroxyzine 25 mg (at night). The side effects are quite rare especially if the dose is taken after a variable gap of few days.

You may apply Calamine lotion as a soothing agent.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|