Q. Percentage of B cells is high. Is it leukemia?

Published on Jan 27, 2018

Here are my immunohistochemical results of peripheral blood: Absolute lymphocyte count 5812/uL reference (1000-3300) with CD19 (B cells) 62% reference (3-20%), CD45 positive, CD10 positive, and CD5 negative. How do we know it is leukemia or not? Doctors in our town cannot interpret the result. The percent of B cells is high. Abnormal. Please help.

Hematology Pathology
#

At the age 55 years, if persistent lymphocytosis is seen, then CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) should be ruled out. For that, monoclonality should be confirmed by flow cytometry investigation and need bone marrow study apart from peripheral smear examination report if needed.

In CLL usually, peripheral smear examination report shows smudge cells and more than 90 % lymphocytes. So, provide peripheral smear examination report and bone marrow aspiration study report and flow cytometry report if available.

The mentioned markers are of B cells but CD5 is negative, so further workup is needed as mentioned.

Hope this will help you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Kindly advise whether my report is all right after bariatric surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I had gastric sleeve surgery around 1.5 years ago. I have lost around 55 kg till now and now, my weight is 68 kg. I have not followed the dietary recommendations¬†and vitamin and calcium supplements prescribed by the doctor for quite a long time. Now, I am in poor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My first step is to congratulate you for a definite action towards your health as the bariatric surgery. Also, you have achieved a great weight reduction with it which needs appreciation too. I understand that you have not been following the diet and just accept the fa...  Read Full

Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis increase lymphocytes after hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a total thyroidectomy (TT) two years ago and on my pathology report of the thyroid, I have had mild thyroiditis, and I always have high lymphocytes. For one period of about a year, they were raising every month. My Tg and Abt within normal range. I did anti-TPO and my result is ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what I have seen leukocytes are within normal range as well as hemoglobin, platelets were not reported. From the automatic differential, there is indeed a slight lymphocytosis, but the m...  Read Full

We went for a regular check up and reports suggest leukemia. Can you help?

Query: Hello doctor,I went to the hospital for my father's normal check-up. He is 61 years old. His report looks like this: WBC 43000, platelets 1.2 L, and lymphocytes 88 %. To get it cross-checked, we went to another lab the next day and here are the counts: WBC: 38000 (Reduced by 5000), platelets 1.5 L (...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father has absolute lymphocytosis. Repeat CBC (complete blood count) after one week along with complete peripheral smear examination to look for abnormal malignant cells like blasts. If the count does not come down, then investigate with flow cytometry examina...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now