Q. Percentage of B cells is high. Is it leukemia?

Here are my immunohistochemical results of peripheral blood: Absolute lymphocyte count 5812/uL reference (1000-3300) with CD19 (B cells) 62% reference (3-20%), CD45 positive, CD10 positive, and CD5 negative. How do we know it is leukemia or not? Doctors in our town cannot interpret the result. The percent of B cells is high. Abnormal. Please help.

#

At the age 55 years, if persistent lymphocytosis is seen, then CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) should be ruled out. For that, monoclonality should be confirmed by flow cytometry investigation and need bone marrow study apart from peripheral smear examination report if needed.

In CLL usually, peripheral smear examination report shows smudge cells and more than 90 % lymphocytes. So, provide peripheral smear examination report and bone marrow aspiration study report and flow cytometry report if available.

The mentioned markers are of B cells but CD5 is negative, so further workup is needed as mentioned.

Hope this will help you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|