Q. My mother's oxygen level is 70 % even after treatment. What to do?

Dr. Shitla Prasad Upadhyay
Published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 63 years old. She is having severe cough from more than a year, and last year, she was admitted to the hospital. The doctors gave Otherapy and BiPAP for four months, and she was fine for few months. Again, the severe cough along with sputum started. Recently, the doctor did some tests and gave medication, but she still has a cough and water collection in her legs. It seems that there is some problem with her heart as well. I have attached the current medication along with recent reports. Her oxygen levels are around 70, and BP is around 150 to 160 mmHg. Her sugar levels are under control. Currently, we are giving oxygen by using the concentrator machine. Her condition is still not getting improved. Please let me know her prognosis. How to get her cured? Thank you.

Dr. Shitla Prasad Upadhyay

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I have seen all her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Her diagnosis is COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) with cor pulmonale and PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension). If her SpO2 is 70 % by a pulse oximeter, then she should be admitted to a  hospital immediately. Normal saturation by a pulse oximeter should be more than 90 %.
  • In my opinion, she should be admitted to a hospital if her oxygen saturation by pulse oximetry is 70 %. Nebulization frequency should be increased to six times a day with Duolin (Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium bromide).
  • Diuretics like Dytor Plus (Torsemide and Spironolactone) 20 mg, one tablet twice a day should be added to control edema. For pulmonary hypertension, Lupibose (Bosentan) 62.5 mg twice a day should be added to the regimen. Oral steroid may be considered. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

Why do I have nail clubbing?

Query: Hello doctor,Does this look like an early nail clubbing? I came across something on the internet and started looking at my nails. I did a Schamroth test and I have a very small window. I am a bit concerned.  Read Full »

I have Eisenmenger syndrome and severe pulmonary hypertension. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have Eisenmenger syndrome and severe pulmonary hypertension. Please advise.  Read Full »

Is bronchoscopy and tube necessary in a pneumonia patient with COPD?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is in the hospital fighting pneumonia and has COPD. His latest X-ray has shown some improvement. The X-ray shows he has an extensive airspace and interstitial opacities in the left lung and patchy opacity in the right lower lung. The plan is to do a bronchoscopy and use a tube...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now