Q. My grandmother's creatinine level is high, and she feels nauseous. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My grandma is 80 years old, and she has a high creatinine level in the blood. She lost her appetite and feels so nauseous. She is sleeping most of the day. Doctors have cleaned her blood a few times. I want to help my grandma because I do not trust medicine in my country. Any guidance here would be super helpful.

#

Thanks for consulting with us.

An 80 years old female with renal failure on dialysis. I understand your concern. Kidney tissue can be affected by different factors, which can lead to renal failure. Some elements which are related to obstruction can be reversed. Still, others associated with medical conditions like diabetic hypertension, which can be aggravated by old age as well, are not reversible. If kidney failure is related to obstruction, treatment is to release the blockage and kidney function can return. But in the case of end-stage kidney failure, the treatment is dialysis or a kidney transplant. In this age, usually, transplant is not possible and not encouraged due to possible complications that can cause loss to the kidney or the patient.

I am sure your grandma was investigated by ultrasound and proven she has no blockage in the kidney. My advice is to continue with dialysis. There are some ambulatory dialysis machines handy and can be used at home as well. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

|