Q. I get stomach cramps with headache, loss of appetite, fever and diarrhea. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Arup Majumdar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I am a 27-year-old female. I have severe headaches for the past two days wiht loss appetite, nausea, fever, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. I am taking Paracetamol for my problems. Please help.

#

Let me tell you that the symptoms described by you suggest that you have acute gastroenteritis. I suggest antibiotic Metronidazole 400 mg three times a day for five days and continue Paracetamol for pain and fever management. Avoid taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen, Aspirin and Diclofenac.

Take plenty of oral rehydration solution with water. Make sure that you get plenty of rest. Stop eating solid foods to let your stomach settle. Avoid dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Avoid sugary, fatty or highly seasoned foods.

| 

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Article Overview: Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days. Rest and drinking fluids to prevent dehydration are the only treatment that is needed, but it is not always true. ...  Read Article

I get severe stomach pain and cramps. Could hormonal imbalance be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 13 years old. I get horrible stomach pains and my doctor thinks I have acid reflex my mom thinks because I have a hormonal imbalance that I am getting bad stomach cramps. She thinks it is the hormones that are doing it but I do not think so. I think it has to do with that it is so ...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms after effects of viral gastroenteritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female. About 20 days back, my history was this: I had diarrhea for two days (thrice a day). I had a low-grade fever too during those two days. I managed to carry it over with natural supplements. But it did not subside. The next day, it worsened with watery stools ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»