Q. I am diagnosed with chronic rhinitis and cannot taste or smell anything. Why?

I am diagnosed with chronic rhinitis by an ENT doctor. I cannot sleep at night and barely eat anymore because I cannot taste or smell anything. My nose is always stuffy. I tried Neti pot, sinus irrigator, herbs, and steam inhalation. I cannot seem to find anything that helps except steroids. I used Carticosteroid nasal spray and Methylprednisalone 4 mg, but those are terrible to keep using. I lost hope. What to do?

#

I understand your problem. It can be a bothersome problem in your case. Chronic rhinitis should be evaluated, and any condition causing it should be addressed specifically. If you could show me the findings of the nasal endoscopy it will be useful for me to make a decisive diagnosis. You may also do nasal odor tests to confirm the loss of sense of smell and let us know the results of the same.

Nextly, the use of corticosteroid nasal sprays are not bad at all. They are very helpful in resolving nasal inflammation and accompanying rhinitis. You may use them as per your doctors advice, we also regularly advise patients to use those. As to using oral steroids, you do not use those continuously for a long duration. Also, try taking saline nasal sprays once a while. Drink plenty of water and eat well balanced timely nutritious food.

Kindly revert back with the findings of endoscopy and nasal odor tests. Kindly do the following also to rule out allergic rhinitis.

1. Absolute eosinophil count.

2. Serum IgE.

With the above, we can make a more decisive diagnosis, and rule out major conditions and institute the specific treatment to help you feel better.

| 

I am suffering from blocked and running nose inspite of having medicines. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from blocked nose and continues running nose since yesterday. Yellow plam coming out with cough with little pain in the center bone. Now consumed Deflazacort tablet and using Otrizon drops yet no relief.  Read Full »

Kindly suggest granular pharyngitis treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with granular pharyngitis and tonsillitis, but I do not have any post-nasal drip or cold. I have pain while swallowing certain oily and spicy food. What should be the treatment? In the last three months, I have got tonsil infection a couple of times.  Read Full »

I feel a dry spot on the inside of my cheek. Does it suggest oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. For about three weeks, I have felt a dry spot inside of my cheek. It has a metallic taste. When I run my finger over it, it feels a little rough, and there are some skin peeling and bleeding. It looks like I can see a tiny little zit. It does not hurt.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»