Q. I have chronic sinusitis and unbearable pain above the molars. What can be done?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 11, 2019

A few months ago I had a right side upper molar issue. I went to a clinic and was given an antibiotic, but it did not help. I went to the clinic after some days, and I asked for Clindamycin and still there was no result. The dentist tapped on the tooth, and there was no pain. He surmised it as chronic sinusitis. I purchased a lavage apparatus and all kinds of nasal sprays.

The pain was really bad because I thought it might be a viral infection. I used Tylenol after reading how to deal with the pain. Though I know that Tylenol is not the correct drug for my pain, it worked for some time. Now I get unbearable pain (burning sensation) above the molar on both sides. I started using Tylenol many times a day. I am not addicted to it but thought of getting relieved from pain for at least six hours. Kindly advice.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You need to get a professional evaluation because your symptoms may lead to septal perforation, nasal bleeding and permanent loss of sense of smell. I would advise going for nasal endoscopy if you were to do that then follow it up if needed with a CT scan of nose and sinuses. If there is any sign of infection go for a sample culture sensitivity and take the most appropriate antibiotic after the culture sensitivity report comes from the microbiology lab which usually takes three days. If there are no signs of infection, you can have some nasal saline douching with steroid nasal sprays and nasal anti-inflammatory steroidal sprays.

Why do I have minor joint pain and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, About six weeks ago, I started having pain in my right index finger. It was mainly when I used my mouse. A few days after, both of my hands started hurting. It was mainly in my right-hand joints, but also in other parts of the hand too. I got scared that I got rheumatoid arthritis. I read...  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

How can you tell the difference between food poisoning or possible Acetaminophen poisoning?

Query: Hello doctor, How can you tell the difference between food poisoning or possible Acetaminophen poisoning? I ask this because I used the internet to look up for my symptoms. And it is two days since when my symptoms started. I took 4 tablets of Tylenol rapid release and an hour before that I had...  Read Full »