Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have chronic sinusitis and unbearable pain above the molars. What can be done?

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan N
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2019

Hello doctor,

A few months ago I had a right side upper molar issue. I went to a clinic and was given an antibiotic, but it did not help. I went to the clinic after some days, and I asked for Clindamycin and still there was no result. The dentist tapped on the tooth, and there was no pain. He surmised it as chronic sinusitis. I purchased a lavage apparatus and all kinds of nasal sprays.

The pain was really bad because I thought it might be a viral infection. I used Tylenol after reading how to deal with the pain. Though I know that Tylenol is not the correct drug for my pain, it worked for some time. Now I get unbearable pain (burning sensation) above the molar on both sides. I started using Tylenol many times a day. I am not addicted to it but thought of getting relieved from pain for at least six hours. Kindly advice.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome to

You need to get a professional evaluation because your symptoms may lead to septal perforation, nasal bleeding and permanent loss of sense of smell. I would advise going for nasal endoscopy if you were to do that then follow it up if needed with a CT scan of nose and sinuses. If there is any sign of infection go for a sample culture sensitivity and take the most appropriate antibiotic after the culture sensitivity report comes from the microbiology lab which usually takes three days. If there are no signs of infection, you can have some nasal saline douching with steroid nasal sprays and nasal anti-inflammatory steroidal sprays.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What are the treatment options for chronic sinusitis?
What can I take for bacterial infection in my gums?
Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I have minor joint pain and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, About six weeks ago, I started having pain in my right index finger. It was mainly when I used my mouse. A few days after, both of my hands started hurting. It was mainly in my right-hand joints, but also in other parts of the hand too. I got scared that I got rheumatoid arthritis. I read...  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

How can you tell the difference between food poisoning or possible Acetaminophen poisoning?

Query: Hello doctor, How can you tell the difference between food poisoning or possible Acetaminophen poisoning? I ask this because I used the internet to look up for my symptoms. And it is two days since when my symptoms started. I took 4 tablets of Tylenol rapid release and an hour before that I had...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.