Q. I have swollen tonsils with white spots. What is it?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain other than occasional discomfort. I do not get sick often. So, I am unfamiliar with how long viruses usually take to leave the body. I am a bit worried since it has been here for quite some time now although symptoms slowly improve and then seem to digress. Currently, I am taking Advil. Could this be something other than tonsillitis?

Do you have a question on Chronic Tonsillitis or Saline Gargling?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

M.B.B.S., M.S. (ENT,HEAD & NECK SURGERY
Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis.

The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar crypts. These can be easily removed by applying pressure with your finger against the tonsils.

These are not major health issues, but in long period they may converted to tonsillolith (tonsil stone) or may give tonsillar infection.

For pharyngitis, no need to take tablet Advil (Ibuprofen). Do some lifestyle modifications as mentioned below.

Chronic tonsillopharyngitis.

1. Warm saline water gargles two to three times a day.
2. Orally plenty of water intake.
3. Wash your mouth after each time you have some food.
4. Manual removal of clogged food particles by applying pressure over tonsil with finger.
5. Use some antiseptic mouth wash before bed.

1. Avoid cold food and drinks.
2. Avoid spicy fried foods.

Revert back after 15 days to an ENT otolaryngologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What is the white lesion in my mouth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have one white lesion in my mouth. I do not know whether it is painful or not because it is very deep and also, how long it has been there. Kindly guide me and also tell me if there is any need to worry or it is just only aphthous ulcer. I am not sexually active since 1.5 years. I d...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are probably having a tonsillolith. It occurs in chronic tonsillitis. It is not an ulcerative lesion at all. There is nothing to be worried about. Use Hexidine gargles. For more inf...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

What are the signs of throat cancer?
Query: Hello doctor,I have swollen tonsils from about a month. I have been taking antibiotics but, they are not getting better. I have a slight pain in the throat. I sometimes have a dull ear pain. Is it a sign of tonsil or throat cancer?  Read Full »
Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem of pain in the throat can be because of tonsillar infection called tonsillitis. Taking only antibiotics will not help. Tonsillitis can be of two types depending on the severity of the infecting agent. The first type is acute tonsillitis where it presents...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now