Q. Is it normal for an adult to have tonsillitis five times in the last eight years?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 24 years old. I need a second opinion on removing my tonsils due to chronic tonsillitis. An experienced ENT doctor was able to diagnose it after seeing my symptoms. I had it for more than five times in these eight years. He recommends me to have removal. But I read that it negatively affects the immune system. Is it normal to have chronic tonsillitis five times in these eight years? Is there an alternative option to remove these tonsils? Do I need to take antibiotics to treat these symptoms? Do children face similar negative effects on the body due to tonsillitis?

#

Having five times in these eight years is not much. Please send a photo of your throat. So that I can guide you further. There is no other alternative option for surgical removal. Antibiotics help a lot in acute attacks. Adults, as well as children, face the same negative effects. Doing tonsillectomy does not affect immunity.

I would like to know in detail about immunity. Will it cause negative effects on the immunity? I have attached a photo. I have pus behind the last folds as well as on the nose. I have pain while swallowing and it seems to be swollen.

#

According to the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your tonsils do not require surgical removal. You have a red fleshy tissue at the back of the throat. It can be lymphoid tissue as well as adenoid. If you have an acute attack, then you can take an antibiotic course. Regarding immunity, tonsils are simply lymph nodes. There are more than sixty to seventy lymph nodes distributed along the body. They are axillary, cervical, thoracic, abdominal, inguinal lymph nodes, and more.

When the tonsils are removed, the remaining lymph nodes present in the body performs the immune function. It means that the body's immunity does not deteriorate due to tonsillectomy. It is a surgical operation done under general anesthesia. Like all surgeries, it also has its complications. The most dangerous complications of anesthesia are allergy to anesthesia and anesthesia overdose. The second dangerous complication is postoperative bleeding and it can be fatal especially in adults in cases of negligence or delayed surgical intervention even though the post bleeding is less after doing a new tonsillectomy technique. Tonsils play an important role in oropharyngeal immunity. When the tonsils become chronically inflamed, then you need surgical removal.

I will take my time to treat my condition by taking antibiotics for now. I am prone to bad ulcers. They are large and painful. It get resolved by taking medicines. Recently, I have few ulcers inside the lips and cheeks and it persists for a week. One of the doctors told me that it seems to be a yeast infection and the ENT doctor told me that it is due to tonsillitis. Please suggest.

#

Tonsillitis does not produce ulcers. But some scientists believe that they occur due to an autoimmune reaction.

|