Q. What could be the reason and treatment for recurrent tonsillitis?

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti
Published on Apr 06, 2018

My daughter is 20 years old and has tonsil problem for last six days. She took medicine for last six days but did not get any relief. She often has the problem of tonsils in two to three months interval. I have tested the CBC. Kindly suggest the remedy. I am also worried about CBC.

Due to prolactin deficiency, she is taking Cabergoline as per the advice of an endocrinologist. But now, prolactin is in normal level, but the medicine is being continued.

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If the tonsillar infection is not reducing with regular medical management in six days, it indicates that it is chronic tonsillitis. The treatment given may be inadequate or resistant to the organism causing infection. You need to consult an ENT doctor in person and take a throat swab for the culture of the organism and take the appropriate antibiotic. If the infection of tonsil is recurring once every three to four months since last two to three years, then you need to go for surgical removal of tonsil called tonsillectomy.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Report of CBC has also been attached. Kindly suggest the treatment based on the reports too.

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

CBC (complete blood count) shows infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not the effect of Cabergoline. Nothing to worry about it. It could be simple chronic tonsillitis.

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full

I have difficulty in swallowing and a sore throat. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fever for almost three days. The first day it was not a high temperature. I had difficulty swallowing and I had a sore throat. Today, the fever is 39.3 Celsius. I had tonsillitis three times before and I have been prescribed Co-amoxiclav, Dequadin, and Strepsils. Please help.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are already on antibiotics. It would be better to get a throat swab done and a CBC (complete blood count). I suggest you change the antibiotic to Levofloxacin 500 mg once a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full