Q. Can urine become dark due to smoking?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I used to smoke 10 cigarettes daily for the past two years. As of now I do not have any problem, except some pain in my throat in the early morning and it stays sore all the time. I want to know, can I have any test to check whether some harm has happened or not? I am very much afraid of cancer and I have stopped smoking. My urine also has turned deep yellow for the past six months. I have dark circles over a long time, but nowadays it has increased. Is there any connection with cigarettes?

#

• Smoking cigarette is always injurious to health. It can cause many cancers from mouth to stomach.
  • As you said, you have smoked since last two years, it has caused ill effects on your throat.
  • Clinical examination of throat and general examination is must before we proceed for any further tests.
  • So, it is advisable to examine your throat in detail by an ENT specialist (ear, nose and throat). After examination, the doctor will decide what tests to do further.
  • It is very common to get sore throats after years of smoking. At the same time, it is important to look for other symptoms like cough, breathlessness or any chest pain.
  • The color of urine can be dark yellow as it contains nicotine metabolite products. So, I advise you to stop further smoking and take the opinion of an ENT specialist at the earliest.
  • Use any mouthwash available in the nearby chemist shop for gargling twice daily.
  • Start taking multivitamin tablets like capsule Becosule-Z once daily. Also, drink plenty of water during the day and include green leafy vegetables in your diet.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|