Q. Will Cilnidipine help to control BP instead of Amlodipine?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Currently, I am on Telvas AM and BP is well controlled. My question is:

1. I want to shift to Cilnidipine instead of Amlodipine.

Heard from many patients and clinical trials that Cilnidipine is useful in sympathetic nervous system hyperactivity as it is dual type CCB. I have that. Will it be a good alternative to Amlodipine? Will Cilnidipine be equally efficacious in terms of BP control when compared with Amlodipine?

2. Is there any difference in efficiency if I go for seperate tablets of Telmisartan 40 and Cilnidipine 10 mg or single pill consisting of both is preferred? Can I take separately?

Do you have a question on Cilnidipine or Blood Pressure?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ilir Sharka

FACULTY OF MEDICINE, UNIVERSITY OF TIRANA., POST-GRADUATION RESIDENCY CARDIOLOGY, DEPARTMENT OF CARDIOLOGY,
Cardiology

Regarding your concern, I would explain that Cilnidipine is a good alternative for treating hypertension, especially in patients with uncontrolled hypertension or after a stroke. It may be more effective that Amlodipine and with fewer adverse effects (less edema). You may use them (Telmisartan and Cilnidipine) separately or even in the same pill depending on how it is more convenient to you. Anyway, you need to discuss with your attending physician on the maintenance scheme and periodic follow ups.

How to control the rise of BP during anxiety? Is tablet Concor advisable?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from high blood pressure for the last three years. During discomfort, the reading comes around 140-148/90-98 mmHg. In normal times, it is 120/80 mmHg. Presently, I have been taking Cilacar 10 in the morning after breakfast and Ecosprin AV 75 at night as suggested by my doct...  Read Full >>
Dr. Anoop Mathew

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have hypertension (high blood pressure), which is out of control occasionally during episodes of anxiety. The baseline BP control is fine. I would suggest adding a new medicine, tablet Concor 2.5 mg (Bisoprolol) once daily at 8 AM. Consult your specialist doctor, d...  Read Full

Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Article Overview: Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contraction. The increase or decrease of blood pressure depends on the circumference of the blood vessel and the force by which the heart pumps the blood  Read Article
Dr. K Sneha

What Is Blood Pressure? Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contract ...  Read Article

Ask a Doctor Now