Q. Will there be any side effect with long-term use of Clobazam?

Dr. Ajay Panwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 22, 2019

My son is 3.5 years old; studying in kindergarten. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. There is an epileptic form discharge of 8 Hz spikes from his right occipital lobe. His MRI and CT scan reports came normal. He feels involuntary movements in his left leg when he is in a conscious state. At times when the epileptic form discharge gets severe, he loses balance and falls down. This tends to happen once in a week. With medication he is fine. We consulted a neurologist and epileptologist. Doctor has prescribed him tablet Topamac 50 mg to be taken twice a day and tablet Lobazam 10 mg for a period of three months. Will there be any side effects with long-term use of tablet Lobazam? I am very concerned. Please guide me.

#

It is good to know that your child's seizures are under control with medication.

Tablet Clobazam is mainly used to control acute seizures and used for a short duration. The main drawback with long term use of Clobazam is physical dependence.

It is observed that, if the drug is used for a long-term and suddenly withdrawn, it will cause withdrawal seizures along with other symptoms. Kindly discuss regarding this with your neurologist.

Shall I give him a small dosage of 10 mg daily at night? Will it affect his cognitive and academic performance in future? Please guide.

#

Clobazam 10 mg will not cause any impairment to function such as cognitive and academic performance in clinical practice.

|