Q. Ears feel clogged while in a closed room. Why?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 11, 2019

Why do our ears feel full or clogged when we are in a closed room? Are these because of air pressure and ambient noise?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Rather than a closed or open room, this is related to outside and inside ear pressure. There is an air cavity in our ear called a middle ear, and there is a membrane which separates this cavity from the external environment called a tympanic layer. So, there is air on either side of the tympanic membrane. So, when pressure on either side if high, then the membrane gets fixed and cannot move properly, giving the feeling of a clogged ear.

And there is a connection between the middle ear cavity and our throat which equalizes pressure within the ear cavity and outside environment. So, whenever one gets an infection, then this tube blocked and there occurs a mismatch of pressure leading to clogged ear. And also swallowing movements opens this tube temporarily, which helps in equalizing the pressure leading to relief. Similar things occur when one travels in an airplane. So pressure changes are decisive in this. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

I hope hearing air like sound in an extremely silent room is also normal? I was suggested to play music or have ventilation when alone.

Is my daughter's ear problem neurological?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has nerve hearing loss of around 50 % in left ear along with tinnitus since 10 years. She is 22 now. On the second of this month, she had put a drop of oil in the left ear. In finding herself uncomfortable, she visited an ENT, who put her on antibiotics for middle ear infectio...  Read Full »

I have ear pain when I open my mouth. What might help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not fat, but my body gets really warm sometimes especially when I sleep, which makes me uncomfortable. So, what might be the reason?Secondly, I get pain near my left ear when I open my mouth. Three weeks ago, the pain went after four days (it started and ended when I woke up afte...  Read Full »