Clogged Ear

I am dizzy, and my ears feel clogged following sinus infection. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently treated for a sinus infection with Augmentin which I am still taking now, I feel dizzy, and my ears feel clogged now. Should I go to a doctor, or is this normal in the endings of the illness?  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand your problem. I am sure that you are aware ear and nose are connected by a tube called Eustachian tube. Whenever we suffer from common cold or sinusitis, this tube gets congested as well. This leads to symptoms that you are suffering from. I ...  Read Full »

Why do our ears feel full or clogged when we are in a closed room?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do our ears feel full or clogged when we are in a closed room? Are these because of air pressure and ambient noise?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rather than a closed or open room, this is related to outside and inside ear pressure. There is an air cavity in our ear called a middle ear, and there is a membrane which separates this cavity from the external environment called a tympanic layer. So, there is air o...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clogging of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis media. I ...  Read Full »

How to treat nasal inflammation and clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had inflammation inside the nose and ear clogged. I had water in the ear, and it went away, but I still feel some balance issue. I am currently under nasal steroid spray.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details to understand the problem. Do you have postnasal discharge, if so what is the color of it? Do you have a nasal blockage? Do you feel better with corticosteroid spray? Please describe your imbalance. Does it look like spinning, a sensation of rot...  Read Full »

What is causing my jaw pain and ear clogging?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have pain on the right side of my jaw, associated with clogging of the right ear. Sometimes the pain radiates to the right side of the head. Audiometry reports are normal. What might be the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ear, nose, throat, head, and jaw are all closely related. Any problem in one will affect the others as well. So, there are various possibilities that might cause jaw pain. They could be: Any boil, infection or excessive wax in the ear. An infected tooth, imp...  Read Full »

My right sinus and ear are always full with sore throat. What is the problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a sore throat. My right sinus and ear are always full. The sore is behind my right tonsil.  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your right sinus is full which indicates that you are suffering from right-sided sinusitis. It will create a post nasal drip and eustachian tube dysfunction. Therefore, a sore throat and a clogged ear are likely to develop. It will be better t...  Read Full »

Is my daughter's ear problem neurological?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has nerve hearing loss of around 50 % in left ear along with tinnitus since 10 years. She is 22 now. On the second of this month, she had put a drop of oil in the left ear. In finding herself uncomfortable, she visited an ENT, who put her on antibiotics for middle ear infectio...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms of your daughter seem primarily related to her ear. Though sometimes, there can be a spread of infection from ear to brain or other intracranial complication due to ear pathology. I suggest you get an MRI of the brain with contrast with MR venogram to rul...  Read Full »

How to get quick relief from cold and nasal congestion?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is a diabetic and also hypertension patient. She is 66 years old. She is on regular diabetes and anti-hypertensive medicine. Now, she has severe cold, nasal congestion and ear congestion. Which medicine can be taken? Will Cetirizine be effective?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. I suggest tablet Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) twice daily for five days. One tablet is to be taken in the morning and one at night after meals. Consult her doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medici...  Read Full »

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full »