Clogged Ear

Can eustachian tube blockage be diagnosed using a sinus x-ray?

Query: Hello I have a couple of questions first can a sinus X-ray show if your Eustachian tube are closed or not. Or do the ent have to go up your nose to find out. I had a sinus infection and nasal drip my ears are clogged I went to my doctor he said I had fluid and an ear infection and sent me to a ent a...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Before I explain and answer your questions, I will take a little of your time to explain what has probably happend in your case. The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading...  Read Full »

Why do I get increased ringing in ears inspite of normal ear test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have increased ringing in both ears. I have been diagnosed with post nasal drip. The left ear feels blocked and the left side of the throat feels clogged as well. I had taken antibiotics on the prescription but that is not working. My ear testing results were normal.  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem seems to be due to sinusitis. Sinusitis itself can cause clogged feelings in the throat or sinusitis can cause secondary pharyngitis which can cause throat problems. Do you have a headache or nose block or excessive sneezing? I will want you to send me a...  Read Full »

What causes achy jaw, congested ear and sore throat after receiving a filling in tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I may have an abscess and I am worried about going into the dentist because of the coronavirus. Currently, I am experiencing an achy jaw and ear congestion on one side, a slightly stiff neck, and a mild sore throat. This comes before one month after a filling repair, and two weeks afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Wajid Hassan

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand the fear you have not to go to the dentist but please do not risk your health because of the fear of coronavirus. There are precautions to that and the dentist will also be taking precautions as the state has already issued guidelines for the doctors...  Read Full »

What can cause clogged ears apart from earwax?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full »

I suffer ear infection with fluid accumulation resulting in hearing problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an ear infection about two weeks ago and just finished the antibiotic. In the past two weeks, I have had a fluid stuck in my middle ear with no relief. There is a lot of uncomfortable pressure in my ear and my hearing is completely blocked on that side. I believe my eustachian ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect the patient identity). It appears that after the ear infection there is some fluid accumulation inside the middle ear. We call it otitis media with effusion. This is quite common after an ear infection and usua...  Read Full »

I am dizzy, and my ears feel clogged following sinus infection. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently treated for a sinus infection with Augmentin which I am still taking now, I feel dizzy, and my ears feel clogged now. Should I go to a doctor, or is this normal in the endings of the illness?  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand your problem. I am sure that you are aware ear and nose are connected by a tube called Eustachian tube. Whenever we suffer from common cold or sinusitis, this tube gets congested as well. This leads to symptoms that you are suffering from. I ...  Read Full »

Why do our ears feel full or clogged when we are in a closed room?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do our ears feel full or clogged when we are in a closed room? Are these because of air pressure and ambient noise?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rather than a closed or open room, this is related to outside and inside ear pressure. There is an air cavity in our ear called a middle ear, and there is a membrane which separates this cavity from the external environment called a tympanic layer. So, there is air o...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clogging of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis media. I ...  Read Full »

How to treat nasal inflammation and clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had inflammation inside the nose and ear clogged. I had water in the ear, and it went away, but I still feel some balance issue. I am currently under nasal steroid spray.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details to understand the problem. Do you have postnasal discharge, if so what is the color of it? Do you have a nasal blockage? Do you feel better with corticosteroid spray? Please describe your imbalance. Does it look like spinning, a sensation of rot...  Read Full »