Q. My ears feel clogged following sinus infection. Why?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I was recently treated for a sinus infection with Augmentin which I am still taking now, I feel dizzy, and my ears feel clogged now. Should I go to a doctor, or is this normal in the endings of the illness?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I completely understand your problem. I am sure that you are aware ear and nose are connected by a tube called Eustachian tube. Whenever we suffer from common cold or sinusitis, this tube gets congested as well. This leads to symptoms that you are suffering from.

I would suggest the following,

1) Continue Augmentin 625 mg for seven days.

2) Xylometazoline nose drops two drops twice a day and after instilling drops in nose take good steam inhalation for five minutes and continue it for seven days.

3) Steam for 15 days.

4) Tablet Levocetirizine 05 mg once a day will also help.

If symptoms persist, you may need to see an ENT doc, and the condition is called as OME (Otitis media with effusion).

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of these attacks start as a viral infection and then become complicated by bacterial infection. These attacks are hard to be prevented completely but the use of seasonal influenza vaccines are helpful and can decrease the number of the attacks. Flu vaccines are tak...  Read Full

How to treat nasal inflammation and clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had inflammation inside the nose and ear clogged. I had water in the ear, and it went away, but I still feel some balance issue. I am currently under nasal steroid spray.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details to understand the problem. Do you have postnasal discharge, if so what is the color of it? Do you have a nasal blockage? Do you feel better with corticosteroid spray? Please describe your imbalance. Does it look like spinning, a sensation of rot...  Read Full

Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you get any CT scan of your sinuses done before to rule out sinusitis? Yes, sinusitis can cause such symptoms and to rule out that a CT scan is needed. Sinusitis also causes nose block, headache, and post-nasal drip. So if you have any of these symptoms,...  Read Full