Q. I used hydrogen peroxide for my clogged ears and now it is stuck. Please advise.

Published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my head violently. It is so annoying. I do not want to get an infection, that could lead to hearing loss in my left ear. I have no insurance and I am a young guy struggling to make it. I am in need of some advise. Please help me.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using suction or just a probing instrument. Wax removal would be an in-office procedure.
  • If, however, you are not sure it is wax, it would be safer to get it checked by an ENT or a general practitioner, who can look into the ear using an otoscope to ascertain what is going on inside.
  • Some other symptoms which occur alongside middle ear infection are pain, ear discharge, decreased hearing, aural fullness etc. Outer ear infection causes severe pain with movement of the pinna and also fullness and discharge. In middle ear and outer ear infections, the wax dissolving agents irritate the mucosa causing it to get further inflamed and edematous. Hence these drops are best avoided in those situations. Do not shake your head violently or put anything inside the ear.

I hope this helps you. Do not worry. It is most likely to be impacted wax.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

Can Hydrogen Peroxide Be Used for Earwax?

Earwax is a waxy substance secreted in the ear, which has antifungal and antibacterial properties. But, too much earwax can cause infections, earaches, ear discharge, hearing problems, and tinnitus. Many forms of hydrogen peroxide are present in most of the ear drops available commercially, because it softens, breaks down, and dissolves earwax. Carbamide hydroxide is the most common hydrogen peroxide seen in ear drops.

2.

How to Remove Earwax with Peroxide?

Eardrops containing hydrogen peroxide can be used to remove earwax. The ear drops can be used by lying on one side with one ear facing upwards and administering a few drops into the ear canal. Keep the solution in the ear for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, sit up straight and blot the solution that comes out with a tissue. Repeat the same steps for the other ear.

3.

How to Make Ear Drops with Hydrogen Peroxide at Home?

Eardrop solution can be made at home by mixing a 1:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide and water. Always consult your doctor before trying any home remedies, as it might harm your ear and hearing. Or use 3 to 4 % hydrogen peroxide with a medical dropper. Tilt your head and put 10 drops of peroxide solution with a dropper and wait for 5 minutes before rinsing it out.

4.

What to Do When Hydrogen Peroxide Blocks the Ear?

Peroxide releases oxygen and becomes water when it is put in the ear, as water has high surface tension and forms water droplets rather than spreading out. This makes the ear feel blocked after using peroxide. If this happens, just tilt your head to the side and the water should flow out. If not, then gently tug on the earlobe, which will break the surface tension and will help water flow out.

5.

What Are the Other Ways to Clear a Clogged Ear?

If ear drops are not effective, then you can irrigate the clogged ear with an ear syringe. Be very careful not to irrigate with a lot of force as it can damage the inner ear. Or you can get ear irrigation done by an ENT doctor. Avoid using cotton swabs, hairpins, and paperclips to clean the ear, as it can push the wax further down the ear.

6.

What Are the Side Effects of Hydrogen Peroxide in the Ear?

Hydrogen peroxide is usually safe to use in the ear. But follow the below instructions to prevent side effects:
Always use diluted solution, as a concentrated solution can cause ear injury.
Do not use peroxide if you have an ear infection or a punctured eardrum.
Do not use it repeatedly in a short duration.

7.

What Happens If You Put Too Much Peroxide in Your Ear?

Avoid putting more than 10 drops of peroxide solution in the ear. But in case you have put too much of it then immediately rinse your ear with water for a few times. This will remove the excess peroxide from the ear, and get your ears checked by the doctor to see if it caused any harm.

8.

Can I Put Hydrogen Peroxide in My Ear for Infection?

No, it is not advisable to use hydrogen peroxide for ear infection. It might increase the earache and infection.

9.

How to Unclog Ears When Sick?

If your ears are clogged due to cold or sinusitis or because of obstruction of eustachian tubes, try the following things:
Try swallowing, yawning, or chew gum.
Blow out while pinching your nostrils and keeping your mouth closed.
Use nasal decongestants.
If you have allergies, try topical nasal steroids.

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full »

Homeopathic Management of Acute Otitis Media

Article Overview: Acute otitis media (AOM) is a condition, which is frequently encountered in children under 5 years and one of the most troublesome disease. This article discusses the causes, incidence, risk factors, symptoms, prevention of the disease and role of homeopathy in combating the disease. Read Article

Dr. Ashish Kumar Dixit
Homeopathic Physician

Acute otitis media (AOM) is the presence of inflammation in the middle ear accompanied by the rapid onset of signs and symptoms of an ear infection. Causes: Frequently it occurs in infants and children. The most common causative organisms are Streptococcus pneumonia, Hemophilus influenza, Mor...  Read Article