Q. Can I use Clofranil during pregnancy?

Dr. Deepthi

I am planning for pregnancy aged about 36 years. But I am an OCD patient on a prescription of Clofranil 50 mg daily. So what are the risks involved, is it safe to use the medicine during pregnancy?

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

Clofranil (Clomipramine) should not be used in pregnancy. It is a category C drug that means if potential benefits justify the risk to the fetus, then you can use. As far as of now no well-controlled studies in humans, but it will not cause anomalies but it may affect your neonate after delivery like seizures, jitteriness, tremors, and dullness may occur. These symptoms will occur to your baby as withdrawal symptoms after delivery. But do not worry your doctor will manage during pregnancy by lowering your tablet dose and during delivery by tapering your tablet dose. But make sure that you take Folic acid tablets even preconceptionally.

|