Q. Please suggest the dose of Anafranil for OCD.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I am a 21-year-old male. I have OCD for past five years. I went to several doctors and used too many drugs such as Sertraline and Fluoxetine and Anafranil. The only drug that helped was Anafranil. I asked from my doctor to prescribe Anafranil but he denied and in every visit he prescribes SSRI, but it does not help me like Anafranil.

What is the highest dose of Anafranil for OCD? Can I use only Anafranil 75 mg once a day? Please help me.

#

Anafranil (Clomipramine) is a type of older antidepressants, and it has some undesirable side effects like constipation dryness of mouth, at times effect on the heart. Because of the side effect for file usually, doctors refrain from going for higher doses. But if you are not facing any adverse impact, then we can increase the dose of drug top to 150 to 200 mg.

The toxicity of this drug occurs easily as compared to SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) which is again a limiting factor for prescribing commonly. But always follow your treating doctors advice in increasing and decreasing the doses of drugs.

|