Colchicine

Is my knee pain due to high uric acid?

Query: Hi doctor, I did KFT and LFT. I have a SGPT of 60 U/L and SGOT of 54 U/L. I have a uric acid level of 9 mg/dL. Now, I have pain in my knees.   Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly send your reports. Please mention whether you are taking any medicine for pain.   Read Full »

Can my grandmother discontinue one of her gout medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, My 83-year-old mother is taking two different medications for gout. She has consistent hand and shoulder pain with weakness. She is unable to catch her walker grip and even she is unable to catch her water bottle. One of the pharmacists told me that one of the medications taken by her ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her symptoms are not related to gout or it can be due to chronic tophaceous gout. She can also have CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) or a flare of RA (rheumatoid arthritis). If the symptoms are more in the early morning and then it decreases gradually, then it can be du...  Read Full »

How is increased uric acid treated?

Query: Hi doctor, Since yesterday morning, I have been having an acute pain and stiffness in the joint of the big toe on the left foot. Also, there is a little amount of swelling. The symptoms are similar to elevated uric acid levels. Four years ago, I had a spike in uric acid levels. I have given my samp...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. I suggest tablet Naproxen 500 mg twice daily and tablet Indomethacin 50 mg three times daily. These are generic names. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full »

Is Colchicine recommended for gouty arthritis pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gouty arthritis and currently, I am drinking Urinorm to lower my uric acid. I am not eating anything that may increase uric acid but I do eat fish and pork. Right now, I am experiencing a pain in my right foot and I was wondering if I can drink Colchicine. I bought it when I had ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you need to be sure that you are having pain due to an acute attack of gout or something else. Since you are already taking Urinorm, and if you have been regular in taking it, you should not have got the attack. In case you have been irregular in taking...  Read Full »

Is Colchicine the recommended best treatment for lichen planus?

Query: Hello doctor, Is Colchicine safe for breastfeeding mothers? I have been prescribed Colchicine for the treatment of my oral lichen planus condition. However, I am still nursing and breastfeeding my one-year-old child. I am wondering if the medication is safe to consume given that I am still nursing ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naseer Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your treatment for oral lichen planus, you need to take a topical corticosteroid and Colchicine is an appropriate treatment for it. I am posting here a study regarding the use of Colchicine by a group of lactating mothers and you can see the results yourse...  Read Full »

Why is Indomethacin not helping with my joint pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chronic gouty arthritis. It started ten plus years ago, and now progressed to every joint in my body with multiple joint attacks at once. I have contant pain in joints, even if there is no attack. The attacks jump from joint to joint nonstop. I have seen many doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and it is a bit unusual for a 40-year-old to have polyarticular gout, that is involving a lot of joints. Firstly, I would recommend you visit a Rheumatologist near you to sort it out. Meanwhile, first, we should rule out if it is gout ...  Read Full »

How to know the reason for my big toe pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering lately from pain in my big toe joint. It is very severe that I could not sleep two nights when I ran out of painkillers. I thought it might be a gout attack. Because I do have gout. Though my uric acid levels are mostly high, I do not really watch what I eat. My tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your detailed description, it is gout unless proven otherwise. The reason I say this is your past medical history of gout. Swelling of the great toe and adjoining area with excruciating pain is called podagra. It is the most common presentation of gout. Even nor...  Read Full »

Is it safe to restart Prednisone?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with gout in left foot. It has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Last month, I had issue with my elbow and took Prednisone. Recently, doctor said I cannot take Prednisone again so soon and was essentially screwed. Are there any other treatment options or drugs? How ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no such restriction about restarting Prednisone. As long as there is a clinical need and we have exhausted other options then there is no contraindication to restart steroids. Surely, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be tried be...  Read Full »

Can you suggest some home remedies for face tan?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a very bad tan on my sun affecting regions over my body. I have been experiencing this since I got my chickenpox before six years. My skin has started to get darker every day since then. I have consulted a dermatologist and he suggested me to apply ointments li...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern. Your symptoms could be due to lichen planus pigmentosus (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Skin biopsy may be done to confirm the diagnosis. Colchicine may give some results in LPP. You shou...  Read Full »