Q. My grandmother has hand and shoulder pain. Is it because of taking two medications for gout?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

My 83-year-old mother is taking two different medications for gout. She has consistent hand and shoulder pain with weakness. She is unable to catch her walker grip and even she is unable to catch her water bottle. One of the pharmacists told me that one of the medications taken by her can cause flare-ups only and I found that it can cause these symptoms in my mother. We are thinking to stop taking the second medicine for gout. Is it good? She is taking Mitigare and Potassium chloride daily. Previously, she had rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. Her uric acid and potassium levels were normal. She had similar symptoms while having high potassium levels. Kindly advise.

#

Her symptoms are not related to gout or it can be due to chronic tophaceous gout. She can also have CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) or a flare of RA (rheumatoid arthritis). If the symptoms are more in the early morning and then it decreases gradually, then it can be due to RA. If the symptoms get aggravated in the night, then it can be more likely due to CTS. This diagnosis can be confirmed by doing an examination. She needs to do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), and NCV (nerve conduction velocity) of upper limbs. Colchicine is given in cases of acute gout. The reason for taking Potassium chloride is not clear or it can be given for having low potassium levels previously. If it was given for low potassium levels associated with Sjogren syndrome, then she should continue taking it, or otherwise, she needs to stop it.

|