Q. I am suffering from severe cold, cough, and chest tightness for a month. Is it anything serious?

Dr. Balaji More
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am a 23-year-old female, and I am 55 kgs by weight for the height of 160 cm height. For the past month, I have suffered from a severe cold (runny nose) and cough. I also felt chest tightness, nasal congestion, sore throat, and shortness of breath too. Sometimes I can hear some sounds from my chest while breathing, and I take some over the encounter medicines when I get rid of them. And is that anything serious?

#

Do you smoke or have an allergy to dust? Is the discharge yellow or green or blood-stained? Do you have a fever or any associated complaints such as headaches? Have you been taking any antibiotics? Which over-the-counter medicines have you been taking? You probably had a common cold, and now you have a secondary bacterial infection with low respiratory tract involvement. You could be having allergic rhinitis, mild asthma, and bronchitis. There could be some risk factors that need to be investigated. So you need to be examined physically with some blood test carried out. On confirmation of diagnosis, you probably need a course of antibiotics.

CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and chest x-ray.

Allergic rhinitis with secondary bacterial infection and bronchitis.

|