Q. When will my grandmother come out of coma?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 82 year old grandmother is in a coma from the past 15 days. The doctors are suspecting a brain stroke. I am attaching all her reports. When will she come out of the coma?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your grandmother has posterior circulation stroke, which has involved very compact structures of the brain (pons, midbrain, and thalamus). These structures of the brain have very compact fibers.
  • There is no specific medication to bring the patient out of a coma. The brain has a feature of plasticity, by that, the surrounding normal structures of the brain may start taking function of the damaged areas. But, that is a slow process. At 82 years of age, it is much slower and very limited.
  • So, recovery is unpredictable. Medications can be given only to prevent further stroke and supportive life care. Sorry to say, possibly she will remain in bed bound state forever.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

My father is in coma.Tracheostomy has been done.Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is in coma. Tracheostomy has been done. He is off the ventilator, but has coughing problems. His GCS is 7. Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?    Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »