Coma

My two month old baby is in coma, but could not find the cause for it. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I know this may be too extreme for this site, but I am seeking all the advice I can get. My two months old baby was normal, healthy, happy, smiling. One fine day morning, I walked over to get him and noticed abnormal breathing inhaling but not exhaling. His body was solid gray and unres...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the information you have given, I would try to analyze his condition. First, turning gray or blue means the oxygen levels in his body are low. Reasons could be many. From what you mentioned. He seems to be bleeding in the brain, that is why his red blood cells a...  Read Full »

A 55-year-old female is in coma with good vital status but eyes are still shut. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,A 55-year-old female is in coma. Her vital status are fine, but her eyes still shut, and head surgery completed 11 days back. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P.bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She has significant brain insult in the form of left-sided brain infarct and left-sided brain blood clot or bleeding. She may need surgery to remove one part of the skull and preserve in the abdomen for future reimplantation. Consult a neurosurgeon for a decision ab...  Read Full »

My brother is in coma with fungal meningitis. Will he recover?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother has fungal meningitis and is in a coma. Initially, he responded to the commands, but after him having a tracheostomy and a feeding tube put in him; he is not responding to our words. What do you think? Is there a possibility of recovery? Will he wake up?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fungal meningitis has poor outcome compared to viral or bacterial meningitis. Such fungal infection usually occurs when body immunity is low due to any reason. Sometimes, there may be some permanent cellular level damage to brain cells by such infection. But, do not lo...  Read Full »

Had surgery for FTP contusion and SDH following a RTA. When will he get conscious?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is 60 years old. Before 15 days, he met with an accident and was injured on the right side of the head. There was bleeding on both the ears and some cholesterol like thing was there in one ear. We have noticed that, but not sure what it was. We have admitted him in the hospital an...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. He is in coma. The time to recovery will be longer and we cannot predict that now. As he is in coma, he can only feel the pain and not touch. Also, he will not be able ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for head injury with a blood clot?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin suffered a massive blow to his head, which resulted in a terrible injury above his ears which extends to the back of his head. He is not responding, but he can breathe on his own, and his body is responding to commands. The doctors said that there is a blood clot in the injur...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can give a better opinion after I take a look at your cousin's CT scan. Due to the injury, there is probably a hemorrhage in the brain, leading to damage of the brain, this is giving rise to all his symptoms. Treatment is evacuation and removal of blood from the brai...  Read Full »

When will my grandmother come out of coma?

Query: Hi doctor, My 82 year old grandmother is in a coma from the past 15 days. The doctors are suspecting a brain stroke. I am attaching all her reports. When will she come out of the coma?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your grandmother has posterior circulation stroke, which has involved very compact structures of the brain (pons, midbrain, and thalamus). These structures of the brain have very...  Read Full »

What can happen to a person having 14 Crocin 650 mg tablets at once?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has taken 14 tablets of Crocin 650 mg at a time? What can we do now? Is there any ayurveda treatment for that?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Crocin is a Paracetamol drug. Your friend has consumed 14 tablets of Paracetamol which is a very high dose. It can cause the following side effects: Nausea and vomiting. Diarrhea and abdominal pain. Low blood pressure and low blood glucose level. Headache and skin all...  Read Full »

My father is in coma.Tracheostomy has been done.Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is in coma. Tracheostomy has been done. He is off the ventilator, but has coughing problems. His GCS is 7. Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?    Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If his breathing pattern is normal and he is maintaining oxygen saturation in normal limits, he can be considered for tracheostomy closure.  But if there is no significant improvement in GCS (Glasgow Coma Scale) or if not expected to improve, then better remove the trach...  Read Full »

My mother suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, and she is in a coma. Can she recover?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother suffered a hemorrhagic stroke a couple of months back. They had to put a tube in her head to drain the fluid, and also put her in a coma. I was told that she would have a slim chance of coming out of this coma. My mom eventually had a shunt put in her head, because the fluid ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The neurological deficit in a patient who suffered from hemorrhagic stroke depends on the areas of the brain affected and the pressure from the edema. The tube in the brain (external ventricular drain or ventriculoperitoneal shunt) are management for that edema press...  Read Full »

Please go through the patient's history, and tell me if she will ever recover fully?

Query: Hello doctor, My relative's daughter, who is 16 years old, met with a car accident. She is admitted to the hospital. Please give your suggestions on her case. She is currently undergoing surgery. The below extract was of her case study. The doctors say that the body below her neck is not moving. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the case scenario. The reason behind her low blood pressure and inability to move all four limbs is actually the cervical spinal cord injury. Surgery is risky because of low blood pressure, but it is possible to operate if the anesthetic team is able to manag...  Read Full »