Q. I was put on Yaz recently and have not stopped bleeding at all. What can I take?

Answered by Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill or Norethisterone? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am an 18 year old female. I was recently put on the contraceptive pill Yaz for 12 days and have not stopped bleeding in that time. The blood varies from dark red and stringy to black and is reasonably heavy (about the same as the first few days of period).

Is there anything I can do to stop the bleeding? I was on Levlen before and was taken off because I had continual bleeding for the whole month on it along with severe stomach and abdominal pains where I was admitted to ER and placed on Tranexamic acid.

I have leftover Tranexamic acid. Would it be safe to take?