Q. Why does bleed severely during menses?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2022

My wife is suffering from a menstrual cycle problem. She is bleeding too much, and her period continues for 7 days. Due to this, low BP, headache, and the lower back problem has started. For the last two years, she has been feeling weak and less energetic. Kindly suggest good medicines, preferably generic names.

#

From the details given in your query, it seems that your wife is suffering from abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB). There are several reasons for AUB. For diagnosis, you better do one ultrasonography of the abdomen and serum for a thyroid function test.

Meanwhile, I suggest taking a tablet Tranexamic acid to control bleeding.

Thank you for the reply.

Here I am attaching the reports for your reference. Is knee pain also related to this problem?

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The scan report is within normal limits. But, the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level is quite high, which indicates that there is a lack of thyroid hormone. Moreover, your thyroid function test report has given T3 (tri-iodothyronine) and T4 values. But, FT4 (free thyroxine) is a better marker of thyroid function tests.

However, it is better to consult an endocrinologist as a lack of thyroid hormone can cause bleeding. The problem in the knees is not associated with this problem.

|