Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why does bleed severely during menses?

Answered by
Dr. Anindya Das
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018

Hello doctor,

My wife is suffering from menstrual cycle problem. She is bleeding too much and her period continues for 7 days. Due to this,  low BP, headache and lower back problem has started. Since last two years she is feeling weak and less energetic. Kindly suggest good medicines preferably generic names. Thank you.

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

From the details given in your query, it seems that your wife is suffering from abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB).

There are several reasons for AUB. For diagnosis, you better do one ultrasonography of abdomen and serum for thyroid function test.

Meanwhile, you can try tablet Tranexamic acid to control bleeding.

Revert back after the investigations to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

Here I am attaching the reports for your reference. Is knee pain also related to this problem?

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The scan report is within normal limit. But, the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level is quite high which indicates that there is lack of thyroid hormone.

Moreover, your thyroid function test report has given T3 (tri-iodothyronine) and T4 values. But, FT4 (free thyroxine) is a better marker of thyroid function test.

However, it is better to consult an endocrinologist as lack of thyroid hormone can cause bleeding.

Problem in knees is not associated with this problem.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I stop fishy smell coming from my vagina?
Be Aware of the Thyroid!
Why am I experiencing memory loss after a head injury?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the treatment for gynecomastia with increase in weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My weight is 80 kilogram, and my height is 5'9 feet. I have gynecomastia for the past four years. Please recommend some medicines.  Read Full »

Can I continue my pregnancy with a high TSH level?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I got conceived. My latest thyroid profile report showed the T3 and T4 to be normal and the TSH levels were abnormal at 22.96. We have heard that this TSH value affects the brain development of the newborn and also the newborn will not be mentally good. This is bothering us a...  Read Full »

Is a pink mole normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question regarding a mole. I just had my hair cut and noticed a mole on the back of my neck near my scalp. I might have had it for a while and did not know about it. Most of my moles are brown and auburn. But, this one is pink. I am wondering whether this is normal. My concern is...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.