Q. Suffering from nervousness, unknown fear, loss of concentration and sleep disturbance.

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Dear doctor,

My brother is suffering from nervousness, unknown fear, loss of concentration and no sleep during the whole night. He lost his wife four months ago due to sudden death. We have consulted a psychiatrist and he prescribed some medicines, but no relief yet. Give me suggestions.

#

Your brother is probably suffering from complicated grief reaction or depression.

Generally, medicines take some time to have a proper effect. If he has started the medicine in the last one week, then it is better to wait for a few more days.If he has already taken the medicine for more than one week, then there is a possibility that the current medicine is not going to work for him within the current dose ranges. In such a case, we can either increase the dose of medication or change to another medicine which has better potential for your brother.I suggest you provide me the following details:

• Age of your brother.
  • Symptoms duration.
  • Any past history of similar complaints?
  • Any family history of psychiatric disorder?
  • Any history of substance use/abuse for your brother?
  • Any ideas of self-harm?
  • Loss of self-esteem?
  • Hopelessness?
  • Worthlessness?
  • Difficulty at work?
  • Weakness?
  • Social isolation?
  • Current medication dose and type?

With the above said details, either post a query or book a session for an online therapy for further consultation; so the needful can be done for him.

Regarding loss of concentration, it is generally one of the symptoms of depression. So, I hope that with the treatment of depression, it will be corrected.

|