Q. Could you give your opinion on the medicines prescribed to me?

Dr. Jyoti Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I am 40 years old. I am having one 17 years old boy. After my first baby, I had three miscarriages and I did not get pregnant after. Unexpectedly, I got pregnant a few months ago and now I am in week 14. I had all the necessary tests, which came out normal except the anti-TPO. It is high 319, but I have a normal thyroid hormone test. I have a history of psoriatic arthritis and my gynecologist put me on medication for the rest of my pregnancy as follows. Nexium 40 mg once daily till week 36, Aspirin 75 mg one pill daily till week 36, Prednisone 5 mg once daily till week 32, Innohep 0.35 injections once daily till my due date, Folic acid 5 mg, Ferricure 150 mg once daily started from week 13, Omega 3 and Euro D 10,000 once a week. I am too much worried about my baby. Although, I wish to have another baby, I would like to make sure that my baby is healthy. After reading the side effects of Nexium and Prednisone during pregnancy on the baby, I cannot stop thinking that I may be harming my baby instead of giving protection. I really look forward to your opinion in my case. Thank you.

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The medications prescribed by your doctor are all in good faith.
  • As you are a patient of psoriatic arthritis and also had previous miscarriages, all these medications are necessary to give safety to you and your child.
  • The medications in pregnancy are given weighing risk versus benefit ratio. Here, the benefit seems to overweigh the risk.
  • Another important thing I would want to add is the concern regarding your age. Not due to medicines, but due to age itself, you may be running increased risk of miscarriage and congenital malformations.
  • Get yourself tested time to time with biochemical markers and scans to reduce the risks. Have faith in your doctor and follow his advice.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I did the prenatal chromosome test last week and I am waiting for the result. I am going to have the triple test next week that is in week 15. Many thanks for your answer and your wishes.

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Good that you are undertaking regular tests. I am sure all will go well. Take care.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|