Q. I was informed that my baby's head is not yet fixed for normal delivery. Please explain.

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 26 years old, and this is my first pregnancy. I am in my 39th week, and my due date is by next week.

When I consulted my doctor, she said that the baby is healthy, and the head is in down position only, but the head did not fix yet.

She asked me to wait till due date and then she suggested for C-section. Is there any possibility to avoid C-section?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me give you a few basic facts of pregnancy and delivery.

As it is your first pregnancy, the uterus is experiencing the process of delivery for the first time.

Baby's head is the only thing in the whole world which can decide if the outlet of your pelvis or the hip bone or the way out through the bone is enough for this baby, it may be different for next baby with different weight.

Delivery is not those few hours which you spend in the labor room. The uterus starts to contract more and more frequently, gradually the cervical canal opens, becoming softer day by day and on the part of the baby, the head turns a few mm in angles and directions trying to fit into the bony pelvis.

It is like trying to fix a tight cover to a cushion. It has to be manipulated in all different angles till the right angle is got. Usually, God sends baby that fits the mother, unless you have some other problems changing the size of baby or mother's pelvis. It is called engagement. If the size is not fitting well, then baby's head will keep floating above the pelvic bone. If you force it, then it can cause distress in the baby.

• It can be decided only at term, I mean 40 weeks and not before. So, wait for the due date and have reexamined per vaginally. If the head has descended well, then you have all the chances of normal delivery. If vaginally evaluated earlier, you may end up in unnecessary cesarean.
  • During this time work well in the house go for walks and do anything you want. This is the reason old people make the ladies sweep the house this time. When you move around and work about, in one position, the head may just get the right angle and may slip into the pelvis, if it has not.
  • Do not think that with five days what can happen. It takes only 1 minute for the process to occur. It is just like shaking the cushion cover well to fit the cushion.
  • I would suggest you wait and do not lose hope. Get re-evaluated and pray well.

In this time keep a watch for four things.

1. Good baby movement.
  2. No significant pain.
  3. No leaking vaginally.
  4. No bleeding vaginally.

If none of these are seen, then you can wait till due date and definitely try for vaginal. Happy motherhood in advance. All the best.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|