Q. What prenatal vitamins can be taken for conception in low progesterone patients?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2022

I want to ask about the prenatal vitamins that I can take for conception, considering the case of low progesterone level. The laboratory tests performed were progesterone 0.19 ng/ml, testosterone 1.10 ng/ml, LH 17.26 miu/ml, FSH 21.11 miu/ml, and prolactin level.

Please help.

#

Preconception vitamin that has been advised universally is Folic acid 0.4 gm per day for normal ladies who wish to conceive and not have any chronic disease like epilepsy (need 5 gm per day) before conception. You did not mention which day of menstrual cycle you did the investigations. That also affects the results. How long have you been trying to conceive? Have you been on any medications or treatment for primary or secondary infertility or had an ultrasound? Your weight is a bit towards higher side, so better to have a healthy diet with daily exercise to reduce some weight as it increases chances of conception. Have regular sex activity in fertile period 8 to 13 days of the regular menstrual cycle. If cycles are not regular, consult again with full history and laboratory reports on the second day of menstrual cycle (serum testosterone, serum insulin, FSH (follicular stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone), prolactin, thyroid function test, and transvaginal ultrasound).

|