Q. Can hearing deterioration and vertigo be due to acoustic neuroma?

Answered by Dr. Shyam Kalyan N and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hearing Loss or Vertigo? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in my left ear. I wish I had the results of the exam for you, but they are around 300 miles away at the moment. After that exam, the ENT doctor said it sounded it was unlikely but I may have a tumor, an acoustic neuroma I believe. He said I should get an MRI or a CAT scan, pretty sure MRI, that would make more sense right? Also, I told him that I have had significant tinnitus for a while and that if I tilt my head to my right side but not my left I get mild vertigo. It seems like I may have misunderstood him and it is likely that I have an acoustic neuroma, but I am curious if there are ways I can rule out other maladies. For instance, I think the hearing loss was significantly worse after I had significant ear pain during an airplane flight. I did not notice any fluid or blood drainage but was wondering if something like an eardrum perforation could have occurred, or just if there are other diagnoses I could test for without paying for an MRI for an acoustic neuroma. Or if there are other roads I could go down beside paying for an MRI for an acoustic neuroma. If it is likely I have an acoustic neuroma, I get an MRI, it confirms I have one, I have already ha ad significant hearing loss for at least a year, can anything even be done to improve my hearing?