Q. Can hearing deterioration and vertigo be due to acoustic neuroma?

Published on Nov 28, 2018

I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in my left ear. I wish I had the results of the exam for you, but they are around 300 miles away at the moment. After that exam, the ENT doctor said it sounded it was unlikely but I may have a tumor, an acoustic neuroma I believe. He said I should get an MRI or a CAT scan, pretty sure MRI, that would make more sense right? Also, I told him that I have had significant tinnitus for a while and that if I tilt my head to my right side but not my left I get mild vertigo. It seems like I may have misunderstood him and it is likely that I have an acoustic neuroma, but I am curious if there are ways I can rule out other maladies. For instance, I think the hearing loss was significantly worse after I had significant ear pain during an airplane flight. I did not notice any fluid or blood drainage but was wondering if something like an eardrum perforation could have occurred, or just if there are other diagnoses I could test for without paying for an MRI for an acoustic neuroma. Or if there are other roads I could go down beside paying for an MRI for an acoustic neuroma. If it is likely I have an acoustic neuroma, I get an MRI, it confirms I have one, I have already ha ad significant hearing loss for at least a year, can anything even be done to improve my hearing?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

To rule out acoustic neuroma we do need an MRI scan. Acoustic neuroma is a tumor that grows inner to the inner ear where there are a lot of nerves passing by. If the tumor grows and involves the nerves it can cause palsies of the nerves which may be irreversible. The hearing loss you have said does not let us conclude whether it is a conductive hearing loss or a neural. This is also important. If someone can click a picture and send to you it will be really helpful. In addition, I would like to know if you have any vertigo, nausea, a fullness of ear, facial weakness, ear discharge or an earache. It is advisable to get the MRI done without much delay. If the otolaryngologist has suspected acoustic neuroma then it is better to haste the process.

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full

Is it possible for mild hearing loss to reverse by itself?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a hearing test which indicated mild hearing loss at the 4k Hz level. The audiologist said not to worry about it at all, protect my ears and it will very unlikely worsen. He even mentioned that it may reverse itself. I am only 32 years old, so I understand any recording abo...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the reports indicated (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a dip at 4k which indicated a noise-induced hearing loss. Many people suggest that it is not a thing to be worried about, however, we cannot neglect it completely. There are...  Read Full