Q. The tear duct is swollen. Is this something to worry about?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I have a swollen tear duct. The right tear duct is swollen, does not hurt or itch. It has been there for a few years now. No changes in the size other than getting larger.

#

From the photo you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look like a tear duct swelling. It looks like a swelling arising from your conjunctiva and the exact diagnosis would only be possible with a slit lamp examination.

But, I can tell you that it is a harmless swelling as it has been gradually increasing since two years and has not caused you to have any symptoms yet. It does need a visit to the ophthalmologist, although it is not an emergency.

If you have a blocked tear duct, you will have symptoms such as constant watering, frequent infections which cause pain in your eye and discharge. I would like to know if you are suffering from any of these problems.

Previous eye infection.

Slit lamp examination.

Conjunctival cyst.

Conjunctival granuloma.

Slit lamp examination and management depending on findings.

Revert with more information to an eye care ophthalmologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|