Q. Can you tell me some cure for constipation?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

I am following low carb diet of fewer than 1500 calories and facing constipation problem. Sometimes, I am bleeding while emptying the bowel. My stool is very hard and in groups of small pieces. Also, it comes very low in quantity. I am drinking 5 to 6 liters of water and having green leafy vegetables. I just started to take Isabgol powder and ACV in lukewarm water with honey in the morning. I am facing this problem for the past one month. Can you please tell me the cure?

#

• Please do not worry. You can use the enema to relieve constipation, which is caused as a side effect of drugs.
  • The principle of enema is to irritate the rectal mucosa which causes defecation. You can ask your gastroenterologist to prescribe you Polyethylene Glycol.
  • Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution used to empty the colon. PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives.
  • You can take Magnesium citrate also. It is also an osmotic diuretic with the same effect as Polyethylene glycol.
  • Also, I suggest syrup Duphalac (Lactulose) for treating constipation. The initial dose should be around 10-15 mL with a half cup of water to be taken at bedtime.
  • However, the dose can be increased or decreased as per the response of your body. For example, if stools become too soft at 15 mL dose make it 10 mL or vice versa. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.
  • For long term relief from constipation, I would suggest you follow strict dietary and lifestyle modification. Try to take a lot of fibrous fruits and vegetables in your diet. Drink lukewarm lime water a glass early in the morning. Eat healthy and fresh food.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|