Q. I have constipation with lower abdominal pain for the past few days. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2021

I have been constipated for the past few days, and recently my lower right abdomen started hurting. I am a 12-year-old female. I currently take Zyrtec, Asmanex, and Melatonin pills. Please help.

#

Well, for how long you have constipation? It is not uncommon to have pain over the lower abdomen because of chronic constipation? It is highly possible that you have a primary problem of constipation while the pain is just a secondary phenomenon.

The two possibilities for constipation in your age are Hirschsprung disease HD which is a segment of large bowel which is spastic (narrowed) and does not allow normal passage of stools. The second possibility is slow transit constipation whereby the large bowel is genetically slow. These disorders require a special type of investigation namely the colonic transit study and barium, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) defecography.

But I think, for now, I can suggest you some tests just get them done, and let me know in a week's time. Meanwhile, I suggest you some treatment and would it may work in your case.

For constipation, you can continue Miralax 17 gm twice daily. Take a large amount of water in a day. Approximately two to three liters. If you have any active anxiety get it treated. If not then perfectly fine.

Follow the below-mentioned investigations and see me in a week.

Hirschsprung disease HD. Functional constipation.

Complete blood count. Detailed stool report. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FT4.

Miralax twice daily and take good amount of water intake daily. Your pain should resolve with resolution of constipation.

Follow up after investigation.

|