iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersMedical GastroenterologyconstipationWhat causes constipation and lower abdominal pain?

I have constipation with lower abdominal pain for the past few days. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At June 30, 2020
Reviewed AtAugust 13, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been constipated for the past few days, and recently my lower right abdomen started hurting. I am a 12-year-old female. I currently take Zyrtec, Asmanex, and Melatonin pills. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Well, for how long you have constipation? It is not uncommon to have pain over the lower abdomen because of chronic constipation? It is highly possible that you have a primary problem of constipation while the pain is just a secondary phenomenon.

The two possibilities for constipation in your age are Hirschsprung disease HD which is a segment of large bowel which is spastic (narrowed) and does not allow normal passage of stools. The second possibility is slow transit constipation whereby the large bowel is genetically slow. These disorders require a special type of investigation namely the colonic transit study and barium, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) defecography.

But I think, for now, I can suggest you some tests just get them done, and let me know in a week's time. Meanwhile, I suggest you some treatment and would it may work in your case.

For constipation, you can continue Miralax 17 gm twice daily. Take a large amount of water in a day. Approximately two to three liters. If you have any active anxiety get it treated. If not then perfectly fine.

Follow the below-mentioned investigations and see me in a week.

The Probable causes

Hirschsprung disease HD. Functional constipation.

Investigations to be done

Complete blood count. Detailed stool report. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FT4.

Treatment plan

Miralax twice daily and take good amount of water intake daily. Your pain should resolve with resolution of constipation.

Regarding follow up

Follow up after investigation.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ajeet Kumar
Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy