Q. Why is there lower abdominal pain and chest burning with blood in vomit?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I am experiencing lower abdominal pain and chest burning and constant bloating and I am gassy today and when I threw up it burned even worse in my chest and throat with some blood mixed in it. I am a smoker. But what could this be? I have been told before without tests that it is gastritis but I am so scared. This has been happening since I gave birth to my son.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

In your query you have mentioned a little bit of blood, a little for you could be a sizable amount in the eyes of a physician. Also, you have mentioned that you developed vomiting mixed with blood during or after your pregnancy. During the course of pregnancy some mother's can develop esophageal varices (dilated veins), but usually, these varices do not bleed. You should get an upper GI endoscopy done in consultation with a gastroenterologist. Endoscopy will just rule out the worrisome diagnosis and if it is esophagitis it can be treated with PPI (proton pump inhibitor) and dietary and lifestyle modifications.

|