Q. I have severe difficulty in passing stools. What should I do?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I have a difficulty in passing stools and a clogging where the stool passes from the sigmoid colon to the rectum to execute a bowel movement. I just spent several hours of discomfort feeling constipated and as though I needed a bowel movement, only to pass a stool the size of a pea as I began to sit down. I have a big problem with getting anything to pass from the sigmoid colon to the rectum.

#

I have carefully reviewed your health query and can understand how worried you are about your health.

• The symptoms you are talking about are related to constipation. And there are a lot of different reasons for constipation. Sometimes the patient has just hard stools (less water in it), and it is hard to pass it down the tract. Others may have a serious issue like obstruction anywhere along the route of the feces. This obstruction can be from outside the wall of the intestines, or it may be a lesion inside the bowels. I meant to say that it is a complex pathology that needs to be addressed properly. For that, we need to rule out the underlying cause. Examination of the lower digestive tract is mandatory in this case.
  • In my opinion, the next best step is to consult a gastroenterologist for a proper evaluation. He will go for an arrangement of investigations. On passing a camera-assisted device from below, we will be able to aid in making a diagnosis. The treatment goes accordingly after that.
  • If the patient has an obstruction of the lumen of the intestine and he takes laxatives, it may worsen the situation and may sometimes lead to complications too. Cancers or benign lesions inside the lumen cause an obstruction that hinders the path of stools. Laxatives do their job but only with building up more pressure inside the lumen of the tube. It can be dangerous because if the wall is weak somewhere, it may cause a rupture of the intestine and spillover of the contents into the abdominal cavity causing a life-threatening infection.
  • I would recommend you make an appointment with your gastroenterologist and discuss the colonoscopy details with him as I aforementioned. At any point during the course of treatment, if you need any help, you may contact me. I would be happy to assist and explain the things to you.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Is there any medication or laxatives to cure constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from constipation. Stool is so hard and has got stuck in the colon. I am on keto diet. So, fiber intake is low which may be the reason. Is there any medication or laxatives that I can take?  Read Full »

Why is my son suffering from stomach pain and loose motions?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is suffering from severe stomach pain. He had motions around three to five times in the night. His age is 17. We went to a doctor and he advised Pentasa 1 g and Morease SR for one month. We also had x-ray, blood test and colon endoscopy. The reports are normal. He has been taking m...  Read Full »

For a hemophiliac patient, it is necessary to receive coagulants for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»