Q. Kindly advise regarding my son's stomach pain and loose motions.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

My son is suffering from severe stomach pain. He had motions around three to five times in the night. His age is 17. We went to a doctor and he advised Pentasa 1 g and Morease SR for one month. We also had x-ray, blood test and colon endoscopy. The reports are normal. He has been taking medicines for the past four days. Still, he has having stomach pain and motions. Please give your advice.

#

• The most common cause of abdomen pain is functional and it is related to multiple problems such as constipation, regurgitation of food, etc.
  • I think the organic causes are already ruled out. But, we left with functional issues.
  • I think your son may have chronic constipation that is leading to pain. Although sometimes it may not be noticed because it manifest with subtle features such as prolonged sitting on the toilet or excessive straining or missing of defecation.
  • I would like to suggest laxatives to your child if he had constipation features. Please send me the x-ray picture, so that we can confirm impaction.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

here i am sending you the x rays please advice some laxative medicines as my son is showing the symptoms that you you have mentioned
# Hi,

I checked your query, unfortunately no file is attached here. Kindly send me X ray picture-remember I don’t need report (I need picture).

Review with x ray pic.
sir, hear iam atahing x-ray file.
# Hi,

This is not a plain x ray, that I wanted.

Anyways, if you don't have that-start treating constipation. Although it may take few days to resolve pain.

Advice.
1.High fibre diet.
2. Plenty of water.
3. Take peglec 1 packet dissolved in 2 litre if water and finish it in 4 hours, may repeat another one if stool doesn't come like water. Give this one time only.
4. Give laxopeg sachet 2 sachet at night time once a day. This may be continued till next few months. Regular follow up is required to titrate the dose. You may decrease it if he had loose stool.
5. Do regular exercise.

Review back after 1 week.
sir, my son facing severe stomach pain and 7 times motions.all reports are normal.pl advice medicines
# Hi,

Stop Laxatives, if he is taking. If he not taken pain may be due to constipation.
Tell.us how is appearance of stool, is it watery ?.
Give injection Diclofenac 75mg I.m. STAT.
It he had severe pain, he needs direct visit to hospital.

Review SOS.
sir i think he has ibs . only night time 5 times loose motions and stomach pain. day time no motion. weakness. recently ct scan was done for small bowl,big bowl ,kidney, gallbladder,results are normal. no abnormality. for ibs their is any medicine , pl give advice sir
# Hi,

For IBS, there are medicines but not specific, their result is variable and not promising. Main stay of treatment is symptomatic management and removing of the stress factors and dietary management.

The colonoscopy should be done in full length not only for small segment.

But now we can wait for some time, may be year if no blood or mucous in stool.

If he had constipation symptoms give him laxatives or when he had loose stools stop it. Do bowel training twice a day. Don't give much analgesics particularly antispasmodics.

Such kind of bowel disturbance is spectrum of IBS.

Review SOS, maintain pain diary regularly.
I hope we can rid in this in a short span of time.

Asian institute is good, you can directly visit there. And show to pedatric gastroenterologist not the adult one.
Sir,
I am the patient's brother. His symptoms are strongly that of IBS like bloating and diarrhea. I did some research on it online and saw dr.hymann's solution for it,he told to take rifaximin 200mg for 10 days.
# Hi,

If he had excessive bloating, then it indicates bacterial overgrowth. In this scenario Rifaximin can be tried.... It will suppress the growth.
Yea,but the thing is every test came out negative even the breath test,which indicate bacterial overgrowth,also there is no gas problem so can we go with rifaximin
# Hi,

If the bereath test in negative, there is no indication of rifaximin; ideally.

But there are limitation of performance of test also and rifaximin is the drug which doesn't have significant side effects because it doesn't get absorbed. So we can try it.
Atleast one doubt can be ruled out.

And monitor his stool consistency, straining while defecation or prolonged sitting of toilet.

Give curd rather than milk. Avoid fast food, give high fibre diet. Alleviate stressors.

Review SOS.

| 

What laxative can be taken for constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain when I pass stools. Please suggest a medicine.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a disease of the stomach for six months now. I feel a pain in my stomach when I pass stools. My stool is like mud or liquid, but not like water. I have consulted many doctors but I do not have relief yet. Please tell me what I should do. I am very worried.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»