Q. Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Dr. Ankur Jindal
Published on Sep 19, 2016

My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives do not work properly. She has been using Duphalac, Smuth, Milk of Magnesia, Softovac, etc. Kindly suggest the most effective laxative.

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• One should always rule out stool impaction in large bowel in elderly.
  • I suggest Laxopeg sachet (Polyethylene glycol) with water once up to thrice a day.
  • If still persists, then I suggest Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) two tablets at night as and when required.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

My wife could notice blood in her stools.Could you please advise us with proper guidance?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (age 33 years) has been suffering from piles related issues since last 10 years. It occurred after her delivery (in 2003) and was harmless at that time. We are having an eleven year old daughter. Recently she started experiencing pain and itching while going to toilet. Also sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. It seems like your wife has second degree hemorrhoids which has also led to her fissure. The good news is that it can be managed medically. The first line of management is medical management. Itching is a very common manifestation, which is a...  Read Full

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reports mentioned on ECG are machine generated and are frequently inaccurate. There is no clear-cut evidence of myocardial infarction on ECG. As you also do not have any history of ch...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a Geriatrician Now