Q. Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Dr. Ankur Jindal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives do not work properly. She has been using Duphalac, Smuth, Milk of Magnesia, Softovac, etc. Kindly suggest the most effective laxative.

#

• One should always rule out stool impaction in large bowel in elderly.
  • I suggest Laxopeg sachet (Polyethylene glycol) with water once up to thrice a day.
  • If still persists, then I suggest Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) two tablets at night as and when required.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

|