Q. Can allergic reaction occur due to Tylenol 3 or Amoxicillin?

Answered by Dr. Pooja Pardhi and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Develop Allergies or Antihistamines? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can allergic reaction occur due to Tylenol 3 or Amoxicillin?

Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of the day I had no reaction. Later just before going to sleep I took one Amoxicillin along with one Tylenol 3. The next day I woke up with an anaphylactic reaction to the groin and inner thighs. I am trying to diagnose whether it was due to Tylenol 3, the Amoxicillin or may be due to the combination. As there was not that much pain I have decided to halt the use of Tylenol 3 and I am waiting to see if the reaction resolves. However, I do know that many people are allergic to this family of antibiotics. I am wondering if this may be the case for me as well, but I have never had an allergic reaction before. I am sure that I have taken this family of antibiotics previously, though I am not certain.