Q. Can allergic reaction occur due to Tylenol 3 or Amoxicillin?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of the day I had no reaction. Later just before going to sleep I took one Amoxicillin along with one Tylenol 3. The next day I woke up with an anaphylactic reaction to the groin and inner thighs. I am trying to diagnose whether it was due to Tylenol 3, the Amoxicillin or may be due to the combination. As there was not that much pain I have decided to halt the use of Tylenol 3 and I am waiting to see if the reaction resolves. However, I do know that many people are allergic to this family of antibiotics. I am wondering if this may be the case for me as well, but I have never had an allergic reaction before. I am sure that I have taken this family of antibiotics previously, though I am not certain.

#

Hi.

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

• The allergic reaction can be due to Amoxicillin only, because Acetaminophen and Codeine will not cause any allergic reaction.
  • I suggest you to stop Amoxicillin. You can use any of the Cephalosporin instead of Amoxicillin.
  • For allergic reaction, I suggest some antihistamine drug twice daily for three days.
  • Amoxicillin and other drugs of this group are very common to cause allergic reactions.
  • As you have mentioned that you never developed such reaction in the past and this is the first time, I tell you that it can happen. I suggest you not to take Amoxicillin in the future.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|