Q. Is there any contraception method without side effect?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I had unprotected intercourse with my partner while I was in my unsafe period. Although I took an ECP within 6 to 8 hours of time, I am a bit curious as if it will work or not.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• However, if you have a delay in periods, then get a urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample. The periods delay could be because of hormonal changes due to the pill you have taken.
  • The pill will definitely work and there is no doubt.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I would also like to know if there is any other contraceptive measure apart from condoms and ECPs. We have been living together for a while now and we need something that is effective and at the same time with less or no side effects.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• There are depot injections, which are effective for three months.
  • You have to take the injection once in every three months and repeat it every three months. So, you need not be worried about the pregnancy every time.
  • The side effects could be nausea, vomiting, headache, giddiness, abdominal cramping, which usually settles down in a few days.
  • Other options being cyclical 21 days pill, wherein you take the pill every second or third day of your periods and continue for 21 days and once you stop it, you get back your periods. Now only concern about this contraceptive is that if you miss a pill, so you have to be a bit careful.
  • Another option is intrauterine contraceptive insertion; this is effective for three years. You place it and forget for another three years.
  • Now, the problem with this would be you may have some irregular bleeding or spotting for one or two months, till it gets adjusted to your body chemistry. So, these are a few options and the choice is yours.

| 

Which one would you recommend the most? Will they cause any side effect in the long run?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• All the contraceptive measures have their own pros and cons. Also, side effects are there for all. However, we have to see in the risk verses benefit ratio.
  • I would advise you to go ahead with Depot injections, as you will have minimal side effects and it is a relief for three months.
  • If you still have any other option running in your mind, which you want to discuss and then come to a conclusion, then please consult your doctor in person and decide.

|