iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDiabetologycontraceptive implantI have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 9, 2017
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. I also have premenstrual spotting, followed by three days of profuse bleeding. I got an IUCD placed ten years back. I use Minoxidil 5 % for topical application, since three months, but I stopped it 15 days back. I have a history of vitamin B12 deficiency, which was treated. I did a test on the third day of my period, and the reports said progesterone is 3.73 ng/mL, FSH is 1.52 mIU/mL, and LH is 1.89 IU/mL.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I need more details to understand what is going on. Can you explain the irregular periods, are they coming late? What kind of IUD (intrauterine device) do you have, copper or hormonal? Do you have any hirsutism or acne? Do you have any history of infertility?Do you have any children? Can you give more details as to what your questions or concerns are?

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

My periods are early, and the menstrual cycle is 23 to 24 days. I have premenstrual spotting for 2 to 3 days, then heavy bleeding starts. The intrauterine device is hormonal, and it is there for the past ten years. I do not have acne, hirsutism, or any history of infertility. I have two children, a 15 year old son, and an 8 year old daughter. What is the cause of my symptoms? Is there a need for further investigation?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

If you have had hormonal IUD for ten years, I would consider taking that out. It may be progesterone IUD, and that may be causing the symptoms. You can choose to use oral birth control instead. You should also consider seeing a gynecologist and have an examination to rule out fibroids and endometriosis.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy